walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gragareth and Great Coum

Gragareth and Great Coum

Postby colgregg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Gragareth, Great Coum

Date walked: 16/03/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 18 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off from Blind beck Bridge in Barbondale (saved the drive round to Bullpot) and headed for Bullpot Farm as I wanted to revisit, with camera, Ease Gill Kirk en route. The weather was overcast at first but it turned out to be gloriously sunny after the first hour or so. From Ease Gill I turned uphill toward Leck Fell House visiting several impressive potholes along the way. I took a break at Lost John's Cave where I did a very short exploration trip (around 20ft!!) and then it was onwards up the Fell to the cairns of the 3 men. Under normal conditions the westward view from here is superb with the lakeland fells, the lower Lune Valley and Morecambe Bay spread out before you. Unfortunately it was a little hazy today so the clarity wasn't there. There is a steady half mile or so to the summit Trig point at 2057 ft which is (debatably) the highest point in Lancashire. There is a good all round view from here with the way ahead clearly visible and unmissable as it's a case of following the wall north until you reach Great coum an easy 3 miles away.While continuing to get the all round vistas, there is nothing close at hand of interest so it does seem a bit like a route march and quite a wet one at that. This time of the year with the snow melting the the ground is very spongy and the water doesn't seem in too much of a hurry to flow downhill!! While there are numerous fells visible from this walk one above all stands out and that is Ingleborough. This mountain impresses from all angles, I never tire of looking at it.
There is a cairn on Great Coum which gives excellent views to Dentdale and the Howgills. It is an easy half mile to the last summit of the day, Crag Hill Where I rested and could look back to the whole route on the day's walk. Now it was a case of following the fence downhill to Barbondale and the car with the sun making the waters of Morecambe Bay shimmer like a large sheet of Silver.
Ease gill round 015.JPG
Ease Gill Kirk

Ease gill round 041.JPG
3 men of Gragareth cairns

Ease gill round 051.JPG
Ingleborough from Gragareth

Ease gill round 052.JPG
View ahead to Great Coum and Crag Hil

Ease gill round 069.JPG
Dendale and the Howgills form Crag Hill
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Gragareth and Great Coum

Postby mountain coward » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:04 am

I wish I'd come with you, been wanting to do those for ages... I was thinking of doing it from Dent though...
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:11 am

Well it's a couple more ticked off for me. I don't thing I'll be back there for a while. The way I did it made it a High level round. If you went from Dent you would have to double back from Gragareth or drop down to Kingsdale for your return.
Bullpot Farm is the ideal base for this walk with gentler gradients on ascent.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:37 pm

I was going to drop down Kingsdale - I don't mind road-walking on quiet roads and it would probably be in the week so it should be quiet...
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:23 pm

Kingsdale was an alternative start for me. you could drop of Gragareth and follow the Turbery road and visit Yordas Cave. I've been in it once but without much torchlight. got to get back in there again soon.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Ah yeah, there's the Turbary Road - I'll probably take that instead...

I've been in Yordas Cave - my Mum and I were waiting outside without a torch... another couple also turned up without a torch... we all stood around wistfully... then these guys came along with 1000 candlepower torches and set off into the cave... we all followed! :lol:

We all had to find our own way out in the dark though as they were going on...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland