walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Festive wanders: Creag Ruadh

Festive wanders: Creag Ruadh

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Ruadh (Dalwhinnie)

Date walked: 29/12/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 470m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Christmas came and went, with lots of festive treats and some festive walking, too. So I'm a bit behind with TR's now :oops:
I'll start with our last mountain walk in 2013. We had not been out climbing for almost a month, with December weather very unfriendly so far and frustration was taking its toll on me :evil: Having consumed far too much for Christmas dinner (who doesn't?) I felt like my body needed a good portion of exercise. What can be better than a trod up a heathery slope?

On Sunday between Christmas and New Year (29th), the wind was said to drop and some sunny spells were expected to the east side, so we looked for something to climb in Drumochter Pass area, where we hoped to see some snow! As we had already done all Munros along the A9, we are now reduced to Corbetts and Grahams, although I don't know if "reduced" is the right word. These smaller hills can be as much fun as their bigger brothers, and in winter conditions the offer fine walks. They can easily be fitted into short days, especially if one feels heavy and bloated after consuming loads of brussels sprout :wink:
Our choice fell on Creag Ruadh in the end, and we never regretted our choice, other hills might have harboured more snow, but we still enjoyed a nice circuit with good views.
We started from the usual parking for Meall Chuaich, layby 94. It was packed full and we saw at least three other couples/small groups of walkers, all heading for the Munro. The summit of Meall was still hidden in cloud, but as some other peaks were clearing, I hoped for the sake of all the fellow climbers, that this one would clear, too. "Our" hill looked pretty bare from below, not much snow so we left ice axes in the car. We carried crampons just in case, but as we expected, they were not needed in the end.
Our route:

Track_CREAG RUADH 29-12-13M.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Just as we left the busy A9 behind, the elastic string in one of my gaiters snapped. I had to stop to repair it - the terrain on the slopes of the Graham looked wet and I didn't want to walk in soaked trousers...
I managed to fix it somehow - my DIY strap had to suffice for the day :lol:
DSC00770.JPG

We walked along the aqueduct for 1km. I remembered from previous reports on this hill that there is a gate in the fence on the other side of Allt Cuaich. The gate is at 669868 and it is hardly visible from the track unless one knows where to look for :lol:
I was afraid that, considering the recent trends in weather, the river would be in spate and therefore difficult to cross, but we had no problems whatsoever paddling across the Allt. The ground down at the bottom of the glen was a bit boggy, but as we crossed the gate, we picked a VT track heading uphill. The slopes were not too steep, and views are starting to show up...
Back to A9:
Towards car na Caim, visibly clearing:
As we gained height, we had to leave the VT track behind as it skirts the higher slopes of the hill. Going was not too bad though - I read earlier that this mountain offers very rough going, well, I found it quite easy, though wet in places. At some point, I looked back and noticed the white slopes of Drumochter Munros:
The Fara, still in cloud. One of my fav Corbetts this is, and its ridge walk is pure mountain pleasure :wink: Must go back and do it again someday...
Weather was improving...
It's only just over 300m of ascent from the track to the summit of the Graham, so for me it was over too soon :lol:
Just below the summit, taking snapshots of the snowy landscape:
Summit cairn and the shelter:
Looking across the steep, narrow glen of Loch Cuaich, to the Munro - still in cloud, but more sunshine arrived in next to no time:
The Monadhliath hills playing hide-and-seek:
I knew it was never going to fully clear,but we were happy with what we were given. A quick snow shower passed over us, followed by sun and soon the world brightened up:
I caught a glimpse of Creag Meagaidh group:
Back to Drumochter Pass:
Loch Ericht and The Fara:
My cairn picture. Graham no. 22, so still lots and lots of them waiting to be done. I doubt if I ever complete them, but I'd like to climb all local ones.
It was really getting nice now, the sun shining...
The summit shelter (which we didn't use because it was full of snow :lol: ) and Meall Chuaich behind:
It was only about midday, and we still had plenty of time, so we discussed the possibility of running for the Munro. But as we had done it before (and in winter conditions), I suggested exploring the whole length of Creag Ruadh ridge. A quick glance on the map and we found out that there was a track alongside Loch Cuaich, which could be used as a return route. The idea was hatched.
The ridge looked interesting:
I'd highly recommend this circular route, if one goes for the Graham only. It makes the day longer and much more interesting plus you will see the less popular side of Meall Chuaich. The ridge is wide and there's a path all the way along. One fence to cross halfway on the ridge, but it's low enough to simply step over it.
A few photos from the ridge-hike. Just below the summit:
Loch Cuaich basking in sunshine:
Yours truly enjoying the day:
Looking back to the main top, the path visible:
The summit from the top of Druim nan Sac, the 644m top:
Meall now clear! Hopefully many folks enjoyed a few bright moments on the top of this one, too:
The Cairngorsm were mostly hidden in cloud, just a few glimpses of the white slopes:
From Druim nan Sac, we had better panorama to the north, and though eastern views are obstructed by the massive bulk of Meall Chuach, this is a good viewpoint nevertheless:
Enchanted...
We descended from Druim nan Sac, first a short distance north, to a small rocky bump:
From this point, we carefully worked our way down - it's steep but the track below is very close:
Heading for America? :lol: :lol:
Descendidng towards the track on soft snow:
Once we landed on the track, we simply followed it back to the head of the loch. It was a very pleasant stroll :D
We had time to admire the less popular, steep side of Meall Chuaich...
...take some photos in sunset mode...
...and complain about too many puddles on the way! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Back by the dam, the daylight slowly dying, what an atmospheric walk it turned out to be:
Hills across the glen clear now:
The return walk along the track was now a formality. The whole circuit took us 4.5 hours but we did it at a lazy pace, especially on the way back. Really a route to recommend!
One last look at Creag Ruadh from near the A9:
Summing up, another good though short day on the hills. We said farewell to 2013 in style, now we were ready to start the new season. And so we did within the next few days. Two more TR's still to come - I'll post them soon.
2013 was a good walking year. 7 Munros less than in 2012 but we are very content with what we achieved. I hit the 100 mark and far beyond, Kevin got to half way mark and then hit 150, though he was doing a lot of repeats with me. We added a few good C' and G' mountains as well and we are looking into 2014 with loads of optimism. May the New Year bring us sunshine on the hills. Meow! :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Festive wanders: Creag Ruadh

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Grand day you struck lucky :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland