walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Damhain

Beinn Damhain

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:08 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn Damhain

Date walked: 14/01/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 730m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20140115[1].gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A later than usual start for me saw me heading up the a82 through thick fog, with the Graham Beinn Damhain my target. I hadn't a clue how low the snowline would be, but was hoping to get some at least. As I got to Luss, that magical moment when you drive out of the fog happened, and to my delight the snow was down to around 200m 8) It was a very slow drive from Tarbet to Glenfalloch Farm where I would park, due to black ice on the road. I'd already written off one car on my way home from the hills in 2013, didn't fancy another :crazy:

The track across from the farm was a familiar one,having taken two attempts to summit Damhains Corbett neighbour Meall an Fhudair. The walk up to a junction in the track was straightforward, with great views over the North end of Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond. Once at the path junction, I took a left and continued on the now icy track for about 2km until I reached a bridge. I had spotted a fence to my left which headed in the direction I had planned towards Lochan Beinn Damhain, so I followed this upto around 450m, then took a wander over to the stream which flows out of the Lochan, found a suitable place to cross and opted for a more direct route to the summit. The map shows lots of crags on this route, so given the snow was now deepening, I wasn't entirely sure this would be doable, though I had crampons and axe if required.

The views now were superb, Ben Vorlich to my left looking sooperb in its winter coat, and behind me to Ben More. Anyone doing that yesterday must have had an awesome day 8)

Slowly but surely I wound my way in and out of the outcrops, steep in places, but the snow soft enough to not have to bother with the crampons. In between crags there were small partially frozen boggy parts, one of which I managed to go knee deep into :roll: My left foot would be baltic for the remainder of the walk :lol: Eventually I could see the cairn just above, a welcome sight after negotiating the crags. At this point i had already decided I would descend to the South and head for the Lochan. I didn't hang about long at the summit, just long enough to deboot and wring my soaked left sock out. There were still crags to be negotiate to the South, but not as tricky as the ascent, and slowly I got myself back down to the Lochan.I had planned to stop here for a bit, but the clag and mist was forming again, so a quick bag of crisps and an energy drink were consumed and I was off again, around the Lochan and eventually picked up my earlier footprints and followed the back to the track.

A great wee winter hill, but don't let its 'wee' status fool you, if this had been a year or two ago, I'd have taken one look at the crags and about turned.

ImageThe West Highland Line
ImageBen More
ImageLoch/Ben Lomond
ImageGlenfalloch
ImageThe track junction, left for the Graham, right for the Corbett
ImageFirst view of Beinn Damhain
ImageI turned left just after this bridge and headed towards the fenceline
ImageDeer keeping watch
ImageBack down to the track & Glenfalloch
ImageThe stream which flows out of Lochan Beinn Damhain
ImageStarting to get craggy
ImageDown to the Lochan
ImageAcross to Meall an Fhudair
ImageGetting nearer and craggier
ImageBen Vorlich
ImageThe Lochan from higher up
ImageCairn in sight
ImageWinter wonderland
ImageBen Vorlich
ImageView South
ImageSummit selfie
ImageAnother deer on descent
ImageBack towards summit
ImageLochan Beinn Damhain
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:44
Grahams:47   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Beinn Damhain

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Boot in the bog incident and soaking sock not withstanding, this looks like it was a cracking day LW. Certainly knocks spots off my outing on this one a few weeks back! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Nice one Dave.

Hunners of snow indeed!!!

Glad you got back safe and sound and didn't have a misadventure on those craggy wee buggers!!!!!

PS excellent photaes as ever!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Another Graham in the bag, well done. Your report sounds similar to when i did Lamachan Hill. Almost wrote car off on drive to get there and lost one foot in a bog leaving me with a very cold foot for most of the walk. :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:285   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Graeme D wrote:Boot in the bog incident and soaking sock not withstanding, this looks like it was a cracking day LW. Certainly knocks spots off my outing on this one a few weeks back! :roll:
Yeah was a fab day Graeme, your report came in very handy (again!). I'm happy to report no blood was lost on this adventure :lol: Have you got back to do Fhudair?

pollyh33 wrote:Nice one Dave.

Hunners of snow indeed!!!

Glad you got back safe and sound and didn't have a misadventure on those craggy wee buggers!!!!!

PS excellent photaes as ever!

Cheers Polly, a good wee day was had but snow wasn't good enough for any bahooki slides on the way down which was a bit of a 'bummer!!'

Johnny Corbett wrote:Another Graham in the bag, well done. Your report sounds similar to when i did Lamachan Hill. Almost wrote car off on drive to get there and lost one foot in a bog leaving me with a very cold foot for most of the walk. :crazy:

I doubt Mr/Mrs Swinton would have taken to kindly to me writing off another car so soon :lol: In future I will be packing spare socks!! Don't know why I haven't bothered doing so before now, especially in Winter :crazy:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 pm

Glad to hear no blood was spilled Dave! Not been back to Fhudair yet to finish the job. :(
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:55 am

Nice one Dave, shame about the soggy sock, we`ve all been there ! :lol: I usually do bring spare socks, but always leave them in the car :roll:
tomyboy73
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:21
Grahams:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Graeme D wrote:Glad to hear no blood was spilled Dave! Not been back to Fhudair yet to finish the job. :(

Prepare to slog it up to Troisgeach. worth it if you get the views though. Hopefully the weather treats you better than your visit to Damhain.

tomyboy73 wrote:Nice one Dave, shame about the soggy sock, we`ve all been there ! :lol: I usually do bring spare socks, but always leave them in the car :roll:

Got another foot soaking on Beinn Each yesterday..... I actually had spare socks!!! :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 am

Looks a good one for a winter walk - must keep it in mind................if this rain ever stops :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:03 am

rockhopper wrote:Looks a good one for a winter walk - must keep it in mind................if this rain ever stops :roll: - cheers :)

It was a good wee half day mostly on snow, you'd maybe want to add the Corbett Meall an Fhudair onto it as well. I had thought about it when I did the Corbett but was too lazy/knackered :roll: :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland