walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis Ledge Route! First Winter Climb + rescue!

Ben Nevis Ledge Route! First Winter Climb + rescue!

by coachmacca » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Date walked: 11/01/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Nevis Ledge Route! First Winter Climb + rescue!

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Well done on your involvement here - a bit different from the day I was up there! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby coachmacca » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:06 pm

dogplodder wrote:Well done on your involvement here - a bit different from the day I was up there! :lol:

Thanks but we genuinely don't deserve a well done - it was sheer luck we were there at that time (delayed by a member of the group running late) and we just pulled them along lol but glad we were there!

I do more feel sorry for then guys and glad it ended well - I guess its not daft if you simply dont know any better (putting aside for a moment that they should have researched but then what if you don't realise you need top research... and on it goes).

All well that ends well :lol:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby rohan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Well done all round. Hopefully these guys will get some proper experience and knowledge under their belts and go on to enjoy the hills. Did you recommend this site to them?! However even experienced people make mistakes and without the full facts in any report I would be slow to judge what other people do. For me I feel it better to concentrate on getting it right for myself when I am out there and then, like yourselves, be in a position to assist if I come across someone in trouble. Fortunately I have never had to as yet and I am only too aware that I can make fundamental mistakes like forgetting my lunch, spare gloves , hat etc.
You may have read my account of Ben Macdui incorporating my mother's 70 yr old diary report. In that she and her sister (both could navigate proficiently but being in their 20s probably did not have that much hill experience) accept another walker's invitation to follow him off Ben Macdui in poor visibility. They had no knowledge of his skills but were happy to follow him as he led them off ,as it turned out, wrongly. Fortunately he was able to rectify his mistake and they all got down safely but they had no idea where they were by this point but as my mother says "His first effort was to bring us to the head of a very steep corrie, the mist rolling away & a little beyond our footing revealed almost perpendicular sides – as he silently surveyed it I wished we had stuck to the cairns for I had lost all sense of direction & had not the remotest idea of where we were ….” Conditions apart from the mist were relatively benign but for this reason I am never content to just follow on without having an idea myself where I am.
rohan

Postby coachmacca » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:47 pm

rohan wrote:Well done all round. Hopefully these guys will get some proper experience and knowledge under their belts and go on to enjoy the hills. Did you recommend this site to them?! However even experienced people make mistakes and without the full facts in any report I would be slow to judge what other people do. For me I feel it better to concentrate on getting it right for myself when I am out there and then, like yourselves, be in a position to assist if I come across someone in trouble. Fortunately I have never had to as yet and I am only too aware that I can make fundamental mistakes like forgetting my lunch, spare gloves , hat etc.
You may have read my account of Ben Macdui incorporating my mother's 70 yr old diary report. In that she and her sister (both could navigate proficiently but being in their 20s probably did not have that much hill experience) accept another walker's invitation to follow him off Ben Macdui in poor visibility. They had no knowledge of his skills but were happy to follow him as he led them off ,as it turned out, wrongly. Fortunately he was able to rectify his mistake and they all got down safely but they had no idea where they were by this point but as my mother says "His first effort was to bring us to the head of a very steep corrie, the mist rolling away & a little beyond our footing revealed almost perpendicular sides – as he silently surveyed it I wished we had stuck to the cairns for I had lost all sense of direction & had not the remotest idea of where we were ….” Conditions apart from the mist were relatively benign but for this reason I am never content to just follow on without having an idea myself where I am.
:shock:

All very good points and a great story! and I have to add now that its a couple of weeks ago that my initial disbelief/amazement/incredulity and ridicule of the people involved has abated and I'm now just glad it all worked out, that people want to be on hills and hope now that the experience will teach them something valuable for the future.

I am still in the belief that had I met the two of them - in those conditions with no kit (crampons/ice axes - non-cotton clothes! , gear or real experience I would have turned them back and would never have suggested they follow .. but if I did its probably realistic to assume they would have followed as these two did..

I know at times I like everyone make some blunt statements but I'm aware we all run the risk of disaster on the hills not just those "inexperienced" of which, I would add I still see myself as - certainly compared to others. We didn't get a chance tom recommend any site I don't think over the howling wind and hail :wink:

Anyhoo - made for a great story! :lol:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland