walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Interesting Jinx'ed Adventure on Sgulaird

Interesting Jinx'ed Adventure on Sgulaird

Postby Louise993 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 18/01/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1240m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Jim and I had decided to get away on the hills for the weekend heading for Glencoe

(Anne joined on Saturday night at the Hollytree Lodge :)

10 hours :lol:

The was kind of Jinxed from the start! :lol:

After getting my new stereo fitted in the car the day before i was looking forward to subjecting Jim to my music for the journey, :lol: tyres check , petrol pumped ready to go !!

Jim came round at 6:30 am and we were on the road at 7am . Driving through Rosyth i noticed my engine light was on OH NO ! So we decided to air on the side of caution go back to house and take Jim's car instead .

With a combination of this and a stop at the Green Wellie ( well we were already late) and a wee detour finding layby this delayed us significantly and by the time we set off it was 10.30am ( we really should have abandoned Plan A and went for an alternative easy day ) but heay ho we were both desperate for bagging a Munro !! :?

Much of the walk up is a bit of a distant memory as the descent was sooo much more interesting !

When we reached about 800 m up the weather and climate had changed significantly with snow and ice on the ground and high winds and hard ice battering in . Goggles on , extra layers on . Ice axe and crampons ???? No Louise had decided to leave them in the car - It looked like there was no snow !!!!!!! :crazy:

Luckily Jim had his, so Jim led the way by carving steps for us on the way up to summit .

Did i mention Jim had left his piece in the car :lol: (Luckily i had plenty to go around between us )

..and did i mention my Landrover map had now flown into the sunset :roll: We still had Jim's 1:50 scale map not as detailed as the 1:25 which would have been handy under these circumstances but at least we still had a map !!

Sguilaird 180114.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

When we reached the summit visibility was very poor almost a white out .

After a quick discussion we decided to try and find the alternative 'quick' steep route back down as we new we were going to be doing much of the decent in the dark !!! With poor visibility this became very tricky given the steep craggy terrain and we could not locate the recommended route down WSW from summit . We had just decided it would be safer returning the way we came (albeit slower) when i spotted some faint footprints which led us to the correct descent down. (WNW from the summit down a steep, ill-defined ridge and then continue westwards when easier ground is reached, but this route too is unrelentingly steep).
By 5.45 we were in complete darkness and in rough terrain (pathless, boggy, marshy 'baby head turfs' - as Jim accurately described it as).

One of the many attributes Glencoe provides is a great phone signal ( well in my limited experience i have always had a signal, don't take my word for it though lol ) so we were able to check in with everyone to let them know we were safe and well.. just going to be a bit late !!!
Gave Anne a quick call ( who was waiting for us at the lovely lodge at Holly tree i had booked as a wee treat ....where we should have now been sitting warm , clean , over a glass of wine with full bellies lol )

The darkness was a real test of our navigation skills and staying calm and trusting technology came into play ...BIG TIME!

It is amazing whilst in this type of situation (canny see feck all) you can become very disorientated and what you would consider as North is in actual fact South and you can feel like you are going round in circles when actually your not. Additionally we started to doubt grid reference readings - which really is a no,no - start doing that and your totally up the Khyber . But with re-assurance and the fact we had 3 GPS's on us we retrieved confidence . Admittedly the SUUnto and e-trex we slightly out which gave us concern .

we covered 13.76 KM and it should be 13km so we did not diverse too much . It seems our navigation skills were pretty spot on despite the complete darkness and the time it took us . (You can see from the Suunto map uploaded below we did not go far wrong) I think we deserve a :clap: for that at least !!

( if it was not for tracking our route on the Sunnto i would have guessed that we had been going round in circles this particular evening . It has been very useful and re-assuring to know we had not gone far wrong with our navigation) = SUNNTO Ambit - great piece of kit

This day (although not quite as stupid) reminded me of Fi and I's adventure back in my early hill walking days.
For those who know us - That's the Macdui day :lol:

So with :
Car going Kaput , late start, no ice axe and crampons, one piece box between us, losing map, poor navigation, pitch black, - it was an AWESOME adventure :D

Sguilaird 180114.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

PLEASE NOTE: - Forgot to stop tracking route when we got to car ( i was just delighted we were at the car !! ) so it tracks car route to Lodge, just ignore that bit all timings and distances are correct to end of walk .
Louise993
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Interesting Jinx'ed Adventure on Sgulaird

Postby fipriestley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Nice report Louise :clap: I was reading thinking 'O no, it's Macdui all over again!' :crazy: :lol:
Glad you both got out safe and sound and had a great adventure! :D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:53 pm

well done, always trust the technology eh ? glad you got down safe :clap:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby sair feet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Macdui was mentioned a few times, Fi :lol: .
sair feet
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:19
Fionas:2   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:5
Islands:41

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland