walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Wyvis

Ben Wyvis

Postby steven65 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 18/01/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 939m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My 150th Munro & my 1st of 2014. Early start up at 315am and off from home before 4am , quick coffee at petrol stn in Inverness , then off to car park at Garbald. Did the route with a WH member from Tain - Phil & his Malamut Husky type dog Kai - me as usual accompanied by Oskar. Later we were joined by Rory & his son from Portmahannock , nice to have a wee bit of company. Heavy going on my legs today - my 1st hill since Ben Avon on 30/11/13 - St.Andrews` Day . Decent stair way / path makes for quick progress up onto An Cabar , decent views all around until now then clag...................the wind was viscious & never gave up all day -
visibility was ok until 950 M and from there to the trig - under 4 ft of snow - no visibility at all.
2 minute stop at summit then turned around and straight back down , the wind being too strong to stop in for even 1 min. Eventually had a wee break at the BIG rock on our way down - coffee at last. Views open again especially to the west . A grand day for me , hoping to get to 200 by 31 Dec 2014.....time will tell
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland