walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Daily Walk - The Cherry Blossom Trail

My Daily Walk - The Cherry Blossom Trail

Postby RiverSong » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Date walked: 28/04/2020

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm still enjoying my daily walk and I'm still making up new routes starting from my front door. Today i was going to do a fast walk up to the Rest and Be Thankful on Corstorphine Hill, but then changed my mind when i remembered how narrow the paths are and how busy the hill is likely to be. Instead i did a circuit which skirted the edge of the hill then turned into Ravelston Woods and walked home via the cycle paths. The whole route was lined with Cherry Blossom Trees in full bloom, a wonderful sight.

This picture is a bit fuzzy, but i like the way the Pentlands are seen in the distance, I've spent many happy Sundays walking there
019 (2).JPG

Cherry Blossom tree in someone's garden
028.JPG

Someone else's back garden
029.JPG

This is the road which skirts Corstophine Hill. Usually it's a very busy road, but even with all the cars going up and down it's a nice place to walk
030.JPG

At the very top of the road you cross over and take this path onto Corstorphine Hill. It leads you to the Rest and Be Thankful viewpoint.
032.JPG

Cherry Blossom at the top of the hill
033.JPG

More Cherry Blossom on the opposite side of the road
034 (2).JPG

This field edged with trees is the ancient road into Edinburgh. Travellers from the Highlands would cross the Forth, landing at South Queensferry, then walk to Cramond, Blackhall and up to here to enter the city. I like the idea that today i'm walking the same route that people have walked for hundreds of years.
036.JPG

More Cherry Blossom, cant get enough of it
038.JPG

And more
039.JPG

Cherry Blossom in the grounds of the Mary Erskine school
041.JPG

School building
042 (2).JPG

Arthurs Seat, seen from the school grounds. Just to the left of the photo you can see the cranes used to build the new St James Centre. In these changed times, I wonder what will happen to the centre now. Is anyone really going to hang around the brand new shops and restaurants? Not me, thats for sure.
045 (2).JPG

Deep inside Ravelston Woods are the remains of a quarry. Craigleith stone from here was used to build the fabulous buildings of the New Town
053 (2).JPG

Last of the Bluebells, i dont think they really got going this year, at least i havent seen that many
062 (2).JPG

View of the Forth and the Fife Coast. I have never seen the cliffs so clearly before. With the absence of planes and cars, the air quality has improved tremendously and you can see further than ever before.
075 (2).JPG

Final Cherry Blossom tree
077 (2).JPG

Throughout this walk, i was accompanied by the sounds of nature, in particular birdsong, and the trees were full of the little birds flying in and out. Every night for the past few weeks there have been fabulous sunsets over the Forth, and the night sky is full of stars. When i wake up in the morning the sky is a wonderful mixture of blue, white and gold. Nature has begun to heal itself.

Not the best of photos, but this is Venus rising above the new moon
002.JPG

003.JPG

Sunset from the upstairs window
001.JPG

002.JPG

Sunset over the Forth
003.JPG
RiverSong
Walker

Re: My Daily Walk - The Cherry Blossom Trail

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:32 pm

My Daily Walk
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 pm

We are so lucky to get all these blossoms. I feel so sorry for people living in town centres or near huge blocks of flats who have to make do with total concrete. (Lovely pics by the way.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:53 pm

Sgurr wrote:We are so lucky to get all these blossoms. I feel so sorry for people living in town centres or near huge blocks of flats who have to make do with total concrete. (Lovely pics by the way.)

Yes, we are lucky to get the blossoms and so many of them too. I hope your husband is recovering now. :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Raynor » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 pm

Nice pics. Always look forward to seeing the cherry trees in spring.
Raynor

Munros:85   Corbetts:8
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:4

Postby RiverSong » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:59 pm

Raynor wrote:Nice pics. Always look forward to seeing the cherry trees in spring.

Cheers Raynor, I look forward to the cherry blossom too, always glad to see the back of winter
RiverSong
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland