walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis: Enjoyable, not overly streneous

Ben Nevis: Enjoyable, not overly streneous

Postby slothaid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1352m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After only really doing hillwalking for about two or three months, Ben Nevis appeared as if it was going to be a daunting experience, however, it was surprisingly smooth and easy. The ascent up the mountain track is not overly strenuous (although, my Grandparents in their late sixties disagree with me on that!) and gives a fantastic view of the surrounding area as you climb.

That's probably one of the things that I most enjoy about hillwalking: once you get to the top, you can look all around you and see for miles. Unfortunately, the view at the summit was not overly great: the summit was clouded entirely and we couldn't see a thing. The rain, wind and chill caused us to rush off of the summit and begin the descent - when the rest of our group reached the summit, after us, they had perfect weather and a nice clear view, however.

The actual climb shouldn't take as long as it did for us for most people: the sole reason it took us so long? We did have my grandparents with us, and they obviously can't go as quick as the younger generation can. It was no bother however (and credit where credits due, they did brilliantly for two folks more used to normal forest walks), we managed the ascent and descent in daylight and it was only as we were coming into the car park that darkness struck.

I thoroughly enjoyed climbing Ben Nevis - it was good fun, and we had quite a few interesting experiences on it (including having to rescue a dog that had become lost from its owner). We intend on doing it again later this year at the end of the West Highland Way, and I recommend anyone who enjoys doing hillwalking to go and get it done, if you haven't already.

P.S. Although, we did do this some months ago, I've only today decided to sign up to WalkHighlands. Gonna make sure I document everything we do from now on, seems like an excellent website!

Here's a wee picture from just after the Loch.
slothaid
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland