walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carrot Hill back on a Sunny November Day

Carrot Hill back on a Sunny November Day

Postby macq23 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Date walked: 09/11/2013

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 3.59 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally gotten round to these pictures. It was a lovely November day and took my 2 young sons and nephew out for a walk up Carrot Hill (Angus) and for a wee lunch as well. A bit chilly but a stunning afternoon it was :)

023sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

024sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

028withsig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

032sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

036sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

037sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

040sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

043sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

045sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

50sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

052sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

060sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

063sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

069sig by ianmacqueen, on Flickr
Last edited by macq23 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Re: Carrot Hill back on a Sunny November Day

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:07 am

Some fine photographs there macq23, that looks interesting and just around the corner from me. Is that the carrot hill between Dundee and Forfar? And is it marked on the OS map?, trig point as well, impressive and looks like fine views from the top, must make the effort and give it a go, maybe this weekend! :D
Great to see the young ones enjoying the outdoors! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby macq23 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Some fine photographs there macq23, that looks interesting and just around the corner from me. Is that the carrot hill between Dundee and Forfar? And is it marked on the OS map?, trig point as well, impressive and looks like fine views from the top, must make the effort and give it a go, maybe this weekend! :D

Hi Rodmiester, yes its between Dundee and Forfar, takes only 10 mins from the back of Dundee on the Kellas Road. It's a very simple small walk, but can take in Dodd Hill too. Another big cairn, offering nice views of the Sidlaws, Dundee, and Angus all around. Great for taking kids up or dogs for a wander for a hour or so.
carrothilldoddhill.jpg
Carrot Hill & Dodd Hill on OS map
macq23
Hill Bagger

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:56 pm

macq23 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Some fine photographs there macq23, that looks interesting and just around the corner from me. Is that the carrot hill between Dundee and Forfar? And is it marked on the OS map?, trig point as well, impressive and looks like fine views from the top, must make the effort and give it a go, maybe this weekend! :D

Hi Rodmiester, yes its between Dundee and Forfar, takes only 10 mins from the back of Dundee on the Kellas Road. It's a very simple small walk, but can take in Dodd Hill too. Another big cairn, offering nice views of the Sidlaws, Dundee, and Angus all around. Great for taking kids up or dogs for a wander for a hour or so.
carrothilldoddhill.jpg

Thanks for that, I've lived in Dundee/Carnoustie for over sixty years and never knew there was a walk so near! :lol:
By the way the expression on the wee lads face in the first photo, priceless! :)

I see that there are also two cairns on Labothie Hill on the other side of the road.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby macq23 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:12 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Thanks for that, I've lived in Dundee/Carnoustie for over sixty years and never knew there was a walk so near! :lol:
By the way the expression on the wee lads face in the first photo, priceless! :)

I see that there are also two cairns on Labothie Hill on the other side of the road.

ha ha yeah his face was a picture!! And don't ask about the red buckets....that HAD to come along as well!!!
I did this walk years ago with the Scouts, and completely forgotten about it until recently!!
Mmmm another two cairns you say....I must check this out! Thanks!
macq23
Hill Bagger

Postby macq23 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Actually Rodmeister, looking at the map, one of the "cairn" is where one of the pillboxes situated in the area. We take Scouts up that way for a night hike when camping at Douglaswood Scout Centre.
macq23
Hill Bagger

Postby DivvyBoy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:47 am

hehehe the wee yins face is a picture, hope you told him if the wind changes he'll stay like that.
DivvyBoy

Corbetts:1

Postby macq23 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:11 pm

DivvyBoy wrote:hehehe the wee yins face is a picture, hope you told him if the wind changes he'll stay like that.

Cheers DivvyBoy, it's definitely a belter! One to tease him with for years to come :lol:
macq23
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland