walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain & the Cobbler

Beinn Narnain & the Cobbler

Postby gman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:44 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 07/02/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1334m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

cobbler 7-2-14 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was up Narnain last week but it was very claggy & didn't see a thing. Thought I'd return since the forecast for Arrochar looked better than anywhere else, I'd never done the Cobbler in snow and it's only half an hour up the road so there would be no 4am alarm :D

Car park getting busy at 9am, looked like another couple of walkers were behind me on the steep track to Narnain. Back to Arrochar:

Think there was more snow last week, hopefully be some left further up...

Muddy track & Loch Long:

Track got icy, then snow became deeper. There were footprints in the snow which roughly followed the path (checked on GPS) up Cruach nam Miseag. A'Chrois:

Wind was getting up & snow was blowing in my eyes when the Spearhead made an appearance out of the cloud. It actually looked like a near-vertical ascent through half-shut eyes.

Loch Long again:

Snow made it difficult to see or follow the usual route so the footprints ahead went a more interesting way...

Through a hole in the rock:

The other 2 walkers were being welcomed to the top of Cruach nam Miseag by a snow shower:

Snow was blowing about on the top so headed straight down towards the other side, Ime & Vane with a bit of brocken spectre:

Cobbler:

Snowy path round from the bealach, met a group who intended to take the north path up the Cobbler so said I'd meet them at the top.

Path to the Cobbler, another walker was descending and said the snow was fine to walk up - more footprints to follow :D

Snow was deep in places but there were plenty of footprints, so you can avoid the bits where it sinks in to waist level. Couple of climbers were on the rock to the right of the gully ahead.

Climbers:

Could see someone moving quickly on the path behind, he was heading for the gully next to the climbers.

Another 2 climbers were crossing the snow towards the south summit:

But I was going the easy way :D

Ben Lomond:

Snow got steep higher up, north summit:

South summit on the left:

Wandered up to the eye of the needle but the cloud/wind/snow were making visibility difficult. Bit of cornicing here too and would be easy to walk over the edge in a whiteout. Similar conditions when I got to the north summit.

Returned the same way since it was quicker, had to descend awkwardly facing the snow initially as it was fairly steep, the guy who had gone for the gully earlier passed me quickly using 2 technical axes and offered me one to try - stuff like this definitely easier using 2 :D He mentioned that winter grade 1 routes should be OK to solo so I'm thinking about adding another axe now...

Back to the path and down the endless zig zags, finally Arrochar made an appearance.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Narnain & the Cobbler

Postby BigT » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Good stuff, great photos. I was on The Brack yesterday looking over to the cobbler. With soft-deep snow at 400m everything in that area is really hard work just now. Looked like the snow-line on your side of glen croe side was a little higher. Weather was good yesterday, only looked claggy on the cobbler at about 3pm just after the snow shower.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   

Postby Poocini » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:02 pm

My brother and I were up there as well on that day, with our parents' collie.

It was spectacular in the snow, but exhausting having to tramp through it.

Did you hear somebody shouting regularly at one point? We stopped and looked at where we thought it was coming from and couldn't see anyone, and assumed that if they were shouting for help then they'd be waving their arms about. Talked to the another party that we met and they'd said they heard the same thing.
Poocini
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5

Postby Jabber » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Looks like you had a much clearer run than me. :clap:

Across the way on Sob Coire Creagach. Stayed pea soup for most of the day above 600 metres. Snow was heavy and soft underfoot so was quite tough going up a very steep and boggy path.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby gman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Poocini wrote:Did you hear somebody shouting regularly at one point?

Sound was really travelling, I could hear the couple behind me talking. I wondered if someone was in trouble but I reckon it was climbers on the Cobbler shouting to each other.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4

Postby Silverhill » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Great stuff and fantastic pictures gman! 8) I have only done Beinn Narnain in summer (mind you, visibility was pants and it was hailing :crazy: ) Nice hill for a winter walk, well done!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:9   

Postby peterd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:45 pm

great pics, i was up on ben cleuch in the ochills on sat,hard going in that snow but cobbler looks great,peterd well done.
peterd
Munro compleatist

Munros:36   Corbetts:11
Grahams:6   Donalds:6

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland