walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Blair

Mount Blair

Postby slothaid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Route description: Mount Blair

Grahams included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 12/01/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 388m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mount Blair is a good walk for the weekend if you're looking for a fairly easy, and non-strenuous wander. The name would give the impression of an actual mountain: in reality, it's just a hill. It's an enjoyable walk however, and can probably be managed by all ages. It isn't difficult, and doesn't take very long at all. Plus, the view from the summit is exceptionally good and it's well worth heading up.

Good views from the top!

The previous reports, as well as guide books, note there as being an obvious route up it - my group's navigational skills must be lacking severely, or we must suffer some form of visual impairment, as we saw no such obvious route. It was not until we actually got onto the final stages that the path became clear: the rest was quite literally just walking up the side, on no actual path. It wasn't overly snowy, but snow was lying over the Hill (mainly dotted around, and up nearer the top): we ended up having to go over some sheets of it, and for once I didn't slip!

Heading up towards the Summit, you can see the tower in the distance

I fail to comprehend our apparent inability to find the "clearly" marked path that apparently is on this walk: it seemed to simply not be there (and there wasn't actually any snow at the bottom to cover it, so it wasn't because of the weather). Nonetheless, I feel that following our own trail was actually quite a bit more entertaining and actually threw in some adventure (albeit, very little) to what would otherwise be a fairly unadventurous walk.

'Snow lip' as we headed onto the Summit

The descent goes down quite a distance and into what I can only describe as marshland, so make sure you've got waterproofed boots and trousers, or you'll end up like me: soaked. Especially due to the weather that had been occurring at the time we'd done this, the ground was simply soaking - feet sinking into it, water squelching around in our boots and even my socks getting soaked (I've now decided that I'd probably be better getting them waterproofed!). I only came across a couple of deer on this walk, however, my grandfather (he turned back before reaching the second half of the ascent, as his knees began to give in) and my Aunt saw an entire herd (I'm assuming that's the correct term!) pelting across. It's a shame we didn't see them.

Overall, if you're able to find the pathway for this: I'm assuming it's quite a nice peaceful walk. If you can't, like us, then it's still a nice peaceful walk: but with a tiny wee taster of adventure thrown in as well (only a minuscule amount, like...). Good views, good walk, entertaining.

A nice panoramic view from the top
slothaid
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   
Grahams:1   

Re: Mount Blair

Postby Silverhill » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Nice wee walk and lovely atmospheric pictures! :D
Have you tried Sealskinz socks? They should keep your feet dry and warm.
Silverhill

Munros:280   Corbetts:3

Postby slothaid » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Silverhill wrote:Nice wee walk and lovely atmospheric pictures! :D
Have you tried Sealskinz socks? They should keep your feet dry and warm.

I reckon it was down to the fact that I haven't actually got waterproof boots, nor have I waterproofed them, haha! I'm going to have to get round to it at some point however: don't want that happening again.
slothaid
Hill Bagger

Postby Silverhill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:17 am

My feet regularly end up sitting in a puddle of water (in the footwell of a rowing boat, no waterproof shoes either). Sealskinz were the answer! However, they won’t keep your feet dry if the puddle is too deep :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:280   Corbetts:3

Postby raykilhams » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Had the same problem with trying to find the path a few years ago , so just headed up to the fence and followed it up to the top ( is there a fence still there ?) I can remember the fierce winds at the top , but great views.
I second the wearing of sealskin socks , had em for a few years now and never had wet feet , and walked in some pretty horrendous boggy ground.
Thanks for the report and pics.
raykilhams
Walker

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Grahams:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby slothaid » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:41 pm

raykilhams wrote:Had the same problem with trying to find the path a few years ago , so just headed up to the fence and followed it up to the top ( is there a fence still there ?) I can remember the fierce winds at the top , but great views.
I second the wearing of sealskin socks , had em for a few years now and never had wet feet , and walked in some pretty horrendous boggy ground.
Thanks for the report and pics.

We went up from the car park directly and descended by the fence: it's still there. I managed to cut my hand on the barbed wire, of course, haha.
slothaid
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland