walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eabhal in the dry

Eabhal in the dry

Postby daleswalker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Route description: Eaval (Eabhal), North Uist

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eaval (North Uist)

Date walked: 25/07/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Eabhal dominates the views over much of North Uist and Benbecula and was even visible from the windows of our holiday apartment on Grimsay. It wasn't until our third holiday on the Outer Hebrides that we finally decided to give Eabhal 'a go'. Walk descriptions seemed unpromising with warnings of boggy ground and a tricky crossing of part tidal stepping stones soon after the start from Obisary, but on this summer walk the ground conditions were largely dry [if spongy in places] and the stepping stones turned out to be rather easy. The walk in can seem never ending, but eventually the sandy beach at the easternmost corner of Loch Obsaraigh is reached and this is where the ascent begins as the hill reaches skywards like some mini Munro. Once again my wife declined the opportunity to make an ascent and wandered slowly back towards the car, whilst I set off on the ascent. There is no clear path, but several optional small paths through heather and up through rock bands keeping generally towards the right side of the eastern flank of the hill. There is a middle section where the gradient eases, but generally this is a steep and testing little ascent of over 300m, with one of the hardest sections near the top. Despite age and decrepitude I managed to overtake the German tourists and catch up with the young Edinburgh couple near the top from where the view, even on a slightly hazy day is amazing. North Uist is an island which appears to be mostly water whilst the sea is dotted with islands. I found the descent more testing as it is more difficult to pick out the best route, but the lochside was reached eventually and the long walk back to the car park was without incident and completed with dry boots. During a two week stay on Skye and the Uists I climbed Eabhal, Ben Tianavaig on Skye and Dun Caan on Raasay - all small hills by Highland standards, but very satisfying and all with brilliant views.
daleswalker
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland