walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin in the snow

Meikle Bin in the snow

Postby Vincenzo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 am

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 11/02/2014

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I done this walk by setting off from the Todholes car park about 11am. Beyond the small bridge over the river Carron the pathway became completely snow covered which made for some very nice wintery views walking through the woodland parts.

The pathway to the base of the summit is fairly winding with a constant gradual incline.

The climb up to the cairn itself was more challenging than what I'd expect would be normal given the snow layer and pretty heavy winds!

Once at the top the views are rewarding when looking over the Carron Valley and reservoir. I couldn't stay at the summit for too long however given that the wind was near knocking me off my feet!

I returned by backtracking the same route to the carpark.

All in all I'd say this walk was a great little leg stretcher and probably more of an easy one on a normal non-windy/snowy day.

I think it took me between 2-3 hours for the round trip.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Vincenzo
Mountaineer

Re: Meikle Bin in the snow

Postby bairdo boy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Yeah, its a smashing wee walk. Better than sitting in
bairdo boy
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 pm

I am sure I can see this hill from some local spots in Clackmannanshire and noticed it had a covering of snow. I like the shots with the trees and snow.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby GillC » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Great wee hill,,was up there a couple of times last year,,once in snow but not as much as you had,,nice to see the Christmas tree has some new decorations. :clap:
GillC
Walker

Munros:57   Corbetts:44
Grahams:31   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Islands:12

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland