walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Luidh Mor

Meall Luidh Mor

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Luidh Mor

Date walked: 18/02/2014

Time taken: 4.3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started from the parking spot for the Ardverikie Munros, turning right off the track at Luible. We continued along this track taking the first track we came to on the left. This track soon ended and we realized it wasn't the one we should be on. So after checking the map we returned to the main track and a few minutes further on was the track we wanted. My os map 42 only has the one track going off to the left but when i got home i checked map 34 and it had two tracks going off, one heading up towards the Lochan for fishing. We continued up the track to just past the quarry before leaving it at a small break. We continued up following a fence, but followed it too far up so had to head over to the left through a boggy section before we eventually reached a highpoint with a large boulder. Here we could see a route to the ridge and had to drop down slighly before a small climb brought us to some trees. We got through the trees and were soon heading up the ridge. The summit was not far once we started the climb up the ridge. We reached the summit then i changed my wet socks as we hadn't bothered to put gaiters on, while The Pathfinder bragged about his dry feet after recently purchasing a pair of sealskin socks and also found himself the best lunch spot as he does. After our lunch we head back down and took a route through the forest just below the boulder and were soon back on the track out. There appeared to be another route down where the burn was heading, which looked like a break in the forest but we couldn't see how far the break went so decided on our route. Once reaching the track it was an easy walk back out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

https://plus.google.com/photos/110051255472035874897/albums/5982401811198972369
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Meall Luidh Mor

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Haha ..like the snow drops :clap:

Sealskinz are the way forward I d agree but the webs between my toes are the sign of a man from the West Highlands :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 am

Still getting em in JC, you're like a machine :shock: I think I see a better way judging by the path left by that tracked vehicle, is there such a thing as a tracked segway :think:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Haha ..like the snow drops :clap:

Sealskinz are the way forward I d agree but the webs between my toes are the sign of a man from the West Highlands :wink:
Aye a hardy man :wink:
ChrisW wrote:Still getting em in JC, you're like a machine :shock: I think I see a better way judging by the path left by that tracked vehicle, is there such a thing as a tracked segway :think:
Thanks Chris :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland