walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tinto Circular via Lochlyoch Hill

Tinto Circular via Lochlyoch Hill

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 02/03/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 13.83 km

Ascent: 624m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My original hill plans for today were put on hold when I had forgotten to set my alarm and overslept. Rather than miss a jaunt out, I looked for something closer to home and choose my old faithful hill Tinto. I've climbed Tinto many times, from the North and South routes, but today I wanted something different and decided on a circular route, starting from the north Tinto car park, ascending from the west ridge and returning on the standard north track.

Since i was doing something slightly different from the 2 standard routes, I thought it was about time I post my 1st walk report :D

Tinto2014-03-02.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting from the Tinto car park off the A73, head along the road which initially runs parallel to the Tinto hill path, heading for Lochlyoch:

Passing through the trees at Woodend:

To the left of the road, a view of Maurice's Cleuch:

At a fork in the road, the left goes to the Lochlyoch Reservoir and Trout farm, however, follow the road to the right, going through the farm:

The road continues on the other side of the farm, following the Lochlyoch Burn:

Take a left at the junction, heading for Howgate:

Looking across to Tinto:

The road passes by a small farm:

Continue past the farm, through a gate, onto a trail:

After dodging the obstacles, I took a sharp left at the gate, following a dry-stone wall and fence, gaining height heading for Lochlyoch Hill:

At the edge of a forestry plantation, a wobbly style takes you across the other side of the fence to continue:

Looking back down to Howgate Mouth:

And looking on towards Lochlyoch Hill:

Looking across to Lochlyoch and Cleuch Reservoirs:

Some kind of mast ... a weather station maybe? on Lochlyoch Hill:

Heading on for Tinto. Navigiation is pretty easy, just follow the wall:

Continuing up Tinto and into the clag:

Reaching the trig point:

And on to the massive cairn and view finder:

There wasn't much need to use the view finder today ... no views to be had in the clag:

From the summit cairn, I followed the normal Tinto hill path for the descent:

Almost back to the car park, and navigating the muddy paths which have been churned up into a quagmire after the recent rain:

It was good afternoon out and mostly avoids the usual weekend hoards until the return.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: Tinto Circular via Lochlyoch Hill

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Nice one SS, good to see one of my old local hills from a different angle. Wow that final section of the path at the base to the car park looks grim!!
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland