walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A route not to be copied - Dumglow

A route not to be copied - Dumglow

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Route description: Lochore circular, nr Lochgelly

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumglow

Date walked: 03/03/2014

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another nice day for venturing out, dry & sunny - the forecast was actually right for a change. I had a very cunning plan which after very careful planning studying previous reports the plan was to head to Dumglow & tackle it the "short & quick way", following in 'Rodmeisters' steps by parking on the unclassified road a couple of miles on from Cleish.

DSCF3022.JPG

DSCF3023.JPG

The careful planning was working a treat and then the plan backfired big style, logic told me to start climbing via the gate so off I set & after less than 50 yds I was wading through mud & clambering over twigs, trees, tree stumps and trying very hard not to sink up to my knees in mud. There was no sign of any forestry vehicles, in fact there was no sign of anything at all, all forms of wildlife had more sense than me :( The forestry vehicles had gauged out big tracks which were filled with lovely muddy water and whilst struggling uphill very slowly I was thinking about how amusing the report would be - at my expense. It would have been quicker to retreat back to the car & drive round to Loch Glow & conquer the hill from that direction.
Whilst struggling very slowly uphill I was comparing the progress or lack of it, to wading through knee deep snow.
Four examples of how the terrain had been rearranged, not good to look at and clamber over.
DSCF2979.JPG

DSCF2978.JPG

DSCF2981.JPG

DSCF2983.JPG

After struggling for what seemed like far too long, I reached the top of the deforestation area & was on familiar underfoot territory, long wet soggy grass. After reaching the top of the forested area, I picked up a faint path & the summit could be seen in the distance.

DSCF2988.JPG

DSCF2990.JPG

DSCF2993.JPG

DSCF3005.JPG

The summit trig point with Loch Leven in the background.

DSCF3008.JPG

Black Loch, Loch Glow is to the left & out of sight.

The views on the summit were certainly worth the extra effort. One thing I didn't mention, I was travelling ultra light, camera, map, compass & whistle, nothing to eat or drink & after expending extra energy & taking longer than I had planned I was rather thirsty. Memo to self - always carry a drink, you never know what unexpected surprises could delay your little stroll.
Whilst on the summit I studied the terrain in the direction I was intending to descend, I was definitely not going back the same way, so I headed down & came across the first living things I had seen for over an hour.

DSCF3012.JPG

DSCF3014.JPG

The descent involved going through the forest & appearing back in the sunshine on a clearing that runs down the side of the forest, with the occasional obstacle. With more luck than judgement the descent actually brought me out in a field right next to where I had parked my car :lol:

DSCF3018.JPG

DSCF3021.JPG

In a strange sort of way I enjoyed the struggle, now it was off to Benarty Hill :wink: Report to follow very soon.
Attachments
DSCF2988.JPG
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A route not to be copied - Dumglow

Postby Sgurr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:03 pm

You started off the right way, but needed either to go back (east)down the road, go through another gate and follow the path up, or go diagonally across that first field you climbed into, right across to the other side and climb into the same track, thereby avoiding the cows that hang around at the beginning. A forestry track should take you right up to another track that runs parallel to the cliffs. You can either follow it past the cliffs and cut back steeply uphill, or go through a ride to before the cliffs and climb from there. I have prospected this a lot trying to find the easiest way up, as once upon a time I thought it might be possible to do all eight Fife Marilyns in one day, but now have grave doubts as the most I managed was five and I am not getting any younger.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi Fife Flyer, it looks like you came back down the way I went up and down! I did not recognise the walk in route you took, it looked pretty horrible to say the least, hope you had the gaiters on!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:48 am

The Rodmiester wrote:it looked pretty horrible to say the least, hope you had the gaiters on!

Luckily I did & they were a tad dirty :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:03 pm

I did this one from Loch Glow, from where there is a parking area. But it's only for fisherman and little Hilter doesn't let you park there :evil: but there is space for one car in a "layby" a few hundred yards up from the "private car park"
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:54 pm

I have to admire you for pushing on with that route! I did this walk last year, I first went to explore from the Loch Glow side and we drove as far as the fishermans car park and then drove right back out with all the stares we got :lol: The found Rodmiesters report and followed that but got a bit lost coming down back into the forest bit which wasn't fun! You got wonderful views at the top though and a good day for it.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland