walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some Ettrick Grahams & Donalds

Some Ettrick Grahams & Donalds

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:11 am

Route description: Ettrick Hills horseshoe

Fionas included on this walk: Capel Fell, Ettrick Pen

Donalds included on this walk: Capel Fell, Ettrick Pen, Loch Fell, Wind Fell

Date walked: 28/02/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started the walk from Potburn at the end of the public road, parking available at the gate. My intention was to walk the 3 Grahams and 2 Donalds or 5 Donalds however you want to look at it. So i made my way down, taking a track to the right and then up and over Grahams Law to Capel Fell. Weather was good with little wind and good visibility although Croft Head was in the clouds from the summit of Capel Fell even though it was 41m lower. What happened next, i can't explain but i just switched off as i made my way down the ridge and started to climb towards Loch Fell. After about halfway up it donned on me i'd forgot about Croft Head. Do i go back down to the SUW and head to Croft Head or continue to Loch Fell? I decided to keep going up to Loch Fell and then head to Croft Head from there. After reaching the summit i made my way over to two tops but decided it was to steep a decent with the winter conditions to do Croft Head and opted to leave it for another day, which i did 3 days later from Selcoth. I now headed to Wind Fell, taking a direct route from the top i was on and from there made my way over the ridges to Ettrick Pen. Here i saw footprints in the snow which i followed down to the track which led to the bothy, picking up a hat on my way. I stopped in at the bothy to have a chat with a few other walkers who had been staying in the bothy and had also climbed Ettrick Pen. I gave them the hat as well as it belonged to a friend of theirs. By sheer coincidence after doing Croft Head on the Monday i was driving into Moffat when i saw a guy walking a dog, wearing the green hat i had found. I also had a chat with a MBA member who was doing some running repairs, before heading back to the car. I was a wee bit disappointed at missing Croft Head but i shouldn't have been as i when i returned on the Monday, it turned out to be a great walk from Selcoth.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

https://plus.google.com/photos/110051255472035874897/albums/5986587379998870801
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Some Ettrick Grahams & Donalds

Postby gmr82 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:24 pm

Haha it is funny to think of going hillwalking and forgetting about a hill - happens to us all though! I know what you mean about the descent, I avoided even ascending it. Should have brought your sledge JC :)
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby pigeon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Looked no a bad day out Johnny,must make the effort to get down that way sometime.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 am

Great stuff JC, if I'd have had that string of coincidences with the hat I'd have started wondering about my sanity :lol: Some beautiful shots from up top in your gallery and No.31 is a real picture postcard :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Nice one, JC :thumbup:Fully understand about the "forgetting" bit - with me it's an age thing but easy to do with all these donalds, grahams and new donalds around this area :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 pm

gmr82 wrote:Haha it is funny to think of going hillwalking and forgetting about a hill - happens to us all though! I know what you mean about the descent, I avoided even ascending it. Should have brought your sledge JC :)
Aye it's called auld age :shock:
pigeon wrote:Looked no a bad day out Johnny,must make the effort to get down that way sometime.
Cheers, nice walking down this way.
ChrisW wrote:Great stuff JC, if I'd have had that string of coincidences with the hat I'd have started wondering about my sanity :lol: Some beautiful shots from up top in your gallery and No.31 is a real picture postcard :clap:
Thank Chris i do worry about my sanity at time :crazy:
rockhopper wrote:Nice one, JC :thumbup:Fully understand about the "forgetting" bit - with me it's an age thing but easy to do with all these donalds, grahams and new donalds around this area :wink: - cheers :)
Thank RH, aye auld age is coming round faster that i thought :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby meangarry » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:28 pm

:thumbup: That was my hat! What a coincidence. Haha, I met Mick and Derek in the Stag in Moffat where they kindly returned it to me. Thanks Johnny! It's now my lucky hat.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:06 pm

meangarry wrote::thumbup: That was my hat! What a coincidence. Haha, I met Mick and Derek in the Stag in Moffat where they kindly returned it to me. Thanks Johnny! It's now my lucky hat.
So it must have been you i seen walking the Black Lab :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland