walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THe White Room .... on Beinn Ime

THe White Room .... on Beinn Ime

by coachmacca » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 02/03/2014

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: THe White Room .... on Beinn Ime

Postby coachmacca » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:00 pm

BigT wrote: The photo of the summit makes you look like you were quite far east at about 850m maybe on the way up?

As you an see with zero visibility the consequences of going too far east don't bear thinking about.

Actually looking through pics I think I've stuck the wrong picture in! That might be Beinn Luibhean off to the west of Ime beyond the Cobbler... ? Yaah I think we initially dropped down too far WEST (edited!) of there then came back up and went to far East trying to overcorrect...
Last edited by coachmacca on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby coachmacca » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 pm

tomyboy73 wrote::clap: well done on getting on with it and getting out, sometimes when you`re writing/reading reports about when things get a bit hairy, most of the stories end up with a happy ending based on walkers relying/trusting, if a bit anxious at the time, their map skills,intuition or faith in gps. use both i say if you can. :)

Cheers Tommy - its been a year of great ;earning experiences this year! :wink:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:04 pm

tony.cee wrote:A friend and I had a similar issue the other day while attempting to climb beinn bhrotain, having walk in from linn of day on a very calm day, by the time we reached Carn cloich mhuilin the conditions were awful, we both looked at the map and agreed where we were, or so we thought we were, took out the gps and in fact we were quite abit away from where we thought we were. Him being ex foreign legion and having good nav skills and mine being enough to get me by, we were caught out, the Moral of the story being that in awful conditions and in a near white out, judgment becomes blurry at best. We decided to go no further and made our way back the way we came. Disappointing driving out and walking in, but the hill will be there tomorrow, and the next day. Great report btw.

Cheers - yeah Sam and I have turned back at least twice due to conditions when very near to the summit - I remember on Sgiath Chuil we were only about 50m from the craggy summit but we just simply couldn't see and it could have been suicidal!

Got to know when to say nah- it'll still be here tomorrow I'll come back! :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland