walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Doll & Corrie Fee

Glen Doll & Corrie Fee

Postby quagga64 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Date walked: 24/02/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to try and bag Driesh and Mayar, two munros to the Southeast of the main Cairngorm range as I thought this area would be my best chance of the least amount of snow cover after my experience of knee deep snow at Drumochter Pass on the 30th of January. Roads were fine on the drive up the A9 to Forfar and then on the B road through Kirriemuir and on to Glen Clova. From there on the minor road along the South side of Glen Clova ( the road along the North side was closed ) was very potholed and quite badly waterlogged with quite a few sections flooded. Despite the dodgy road conditions, arrived at Glen Doll Lodge about 10:30 and set off walking. It was fairly bright and clear but did drizzle a bit along the way, snow was lying from about 2,000 feet up on Driesh and the surrounding ridges and peaks. Walk up through Glen Doll forest was really nice with plenty of mixed woodland and information boards along the way promising possible sightings of Otters, Crossbills, Pine Martens and even Golden Eagles, sadly I never seen any of these and surprisingly apart from some very tame Chaffinches around the lodge and car park, I didnt see or hear a single bird, despite the perfect habitat. Passed the famous Jocks Road which is the oldest right of way in Scotland, dating from 1888. Crossed the river which runs through the forest called The White Water and after 45 minutes of walking emerged from the forest to be confronted with the impressive Corrie Fee, the wind began to pick up as I crossed the morraines which are piles of debris left behind by melting glaciers after the last ice age 10,000 years ago and gained height, the cliffs of Corrie Fee looked ideal habitat for Golden Eagles with trees and shrubbery growing out of the ledges and I kept scanning my surroundings in hope. As I began to climb the back wall of the corrie beside the waterfall the snow underfoot began to get deeper and soon the path dissappeared. I got the ice axe out for the first time and as I slowly climbed blindly now as there was no path or footprints to follow the snow began to fall and came on quite heavy. The snow underfoot was soft and wet and quickly got deeper and deeper till amazingly my legs were sinking in right up to my crotch ! Soon my trousers were soaking and after changing my gloves my second pair were now also soaking and the climb was getting ever steeper. Eventually after nearly an hour of struggle and changing course to try and find a better route I decided it was time to call it a day and abort, there were telltale signs of previous avalanches all around and it became too much of a risk as I was by now totally soaked through and quite knackered, the snow was swirling all around and although I was tantelizingly close to the top of the corrie, the final climb was very steep and I decided it was just too dangerous so I headed back down, sliding a lot of the way on my backside though I kept sinking in as the snow was so soft. Feeling very dejected and frustrated at having my second successive attempt at bagging a pair of munros foiled by snow. I plodded back the way I had came and of course the snow stopped and out came the sun and the blue sky, 3 hours 45 minutes after setting off I was back at the car and got dried off and completely changed my clothes and sat with car heater on and ate some of my piece and fed some to the flock of tame Chaffies who gobbled up cherry bakewells and bourbon biscuits. had an uneventfull drive home and apart from the dissapointment of failing to add to my munro tally which has been stuck at 78 since last October I enjoyed the walk and I look forward to going back to bag these two in better weather as it is a really nice area.
Attachments
rsz_1043_the_descision_is_made_to_abandon_the_climb_just_to_dangerous.jpg
The descision is made to abandon the climb, just too dangerous
quagga64

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland