walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More: Government Health Warning

Bynack More: Government Health Warning

by Graeme D » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 28/03/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Bynack More: Government Health Warning

Postby gaffr » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:49 pm

Good to see that you got some images from Sunday in the Gorms...desperate weather....never had the camera out of my rucksack ...too much to be concerned with...as for gloves try these cheap as chips 'freezer gloves' obtainable in most hardware places. Around four quid a pair. Just keep them up to scratch with a liberal coating of your 'boot stuff'. :D
cheap as chips gloves.jpg
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Glenrothes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:Calm yersels! Stunning photos as promised.......

Agreed - dont know what all the fuss was about :wink: :lol:
Glenrothes

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Believe me, I have a lot of days just like that! Can't imagine why you need to drink in severe cold though? I won't drink anything in cold weather unless it's a hot drink - and I never feel the need to either - I only get thirsty if it's hot weather.

It was just like that on Connie Old Man in the Lakes on Richard's and my January trip - we had 2 days of it which prompted me to go and buy some goggles! Didn't really like trying to negotiate the ridge with my eyes refusing to stay open 'cos of the pelting they were getting with icy crystals, a big drop off to the right with a cornice to avoid, and a gaggle of folks following us as 'we look like we know what we're doing' :lol:

Have you got any wool gloves? I find that, even if they get wet, they're still warm - just hard to get on and off!
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:26 pm

I was going to write a separate post on this but feel that Graeme has done this excellent testimony to the various hill-crimes perpetrated yesterday.
I do recall asking Graeme as we entered the snow-line "How's your hill-sense?" We both agreed it was pretty good. :shock:

The climb up to the summit was a lot steeper than I had envisaged. Add to this, a ferocious wind, coruscating snow and hail and we were lucky if we waited 30 seconds at the summit. However, gone were the wrinkles on my face - in fact, gone was my face. I felt at one point that my face was being ripped off by tiny needles being driven in by God. I think by the time we got back to the car, I had uttered every profanity known to man and some new versions currently being looked up by experts on sweardom everywhere.

I clearly remember looking back at Graeme on the descent to find he was on his hands and knees - obviously fixing his crampons but for one fleeting moment, I thought he may have been greetin'. I thought I'd join in. Tears and snotters everywhere.

An atrocious day. Furthermore, by the time I got home, her wifiness was not impressed by my late arrival and my steak pie had been left to cool to -273 Kelvin. At least the Ossian was cold. And as I look back in the warmth of home, a part of me deep-down actually quite enjoyed it.... :?

IMG_3429.JPG
Graeme thinks "I'm sure I saw Kev around here...."
IMG_3430.JPG
Graeme at the summit - he's the one on the left
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby bazer100 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 pm

going arse over nipple is defo quote of the week for me!!! fantastic... ahh the simple things that amuse..

baz :lol:
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:44 pm

I think it's the kind of day that, given enough time, you look back and think it was glorious! LOL to 'her wifiness' :lol: and 'greeting' - never heard that before! What a strange language Aberdonian is! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 pm

bazer100 wrote:going arse over nipple is defo quote of the week for me!!! fantastic... ahh the simple things that amuse..

baz :lol:

Well I suppose guys don't have much in the way of tits... not hill-walking guys usually anyway! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 am

Great report Graeme, looks a total epic and surpasses our fence post experience just before Xmas. Maybe you are a bad weather jinx?
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 am

Sounded a good move to miss that one... were you hiding when they called :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:36 am

Paul Webster wrote:Sounded a good move to miss that one... were you hiding when they called :D

Haha - I was on the winter mountain leader training course and it ran over a little. Having just spent a week up in the Cairngorms in similar conditons, I was in no rush to experience another day!
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 pm

My hat!!!! Kev - I can see my hat in one of your photos!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Clearly it was after this juncture that it was whisked off my bonce and carried off into the great greyish-white abyss. I'm glad there are no photos of me with just the balaclava - must have looked like a deranged stalker who'd taken a wrong turn somewhere! :lol:

mountain coward wrote:Can't imagine why you need to drink in severe cold though? I won't drink anything in cold weather unless it's a hot drink - and I never feel the need to either - I only get thirsty if it's hot weather.

For the record MC, it basically amounted to the fact that my laboured breathing was inevitably leading to a natural intake of moisture from my waterlogged balaclava into my gaping gob! At one point I feraed I was about to become a drowning fatality! :lol: I doubt anyone has ever drowned on Bynack More before.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Got you - yeah, I sometimes drink off my hair as the mist and cloud etc. condense off the end of the ratstails! But I think I mainly drink it to stop it dripping down my neck... :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Ray Mackay » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:48 pm

You should of headed up Bynack More this weekend....you could of had a BBQ and got a suntan up there over the past 2 days... :D
Ray Mackay
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland