walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - a gleaming prize between the winter storms

Ben Lomond - a gleaming prize between the winter storms

Postby astuckes » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 07/02/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first walk report on walkhighlands so I apologise for its late submission!! There have been other good reports on Ben Lomond since - including the bag piper - terrific!!
Like most other people I suspect, this winter has left me storm-bound a lot of the time. However, I managed to snatch a jewel of a day on Ben Lomond between the storms on Friday 7th February 2014. I was not alone! At least a dozen or so others were on the hill and enjoyed a near perfect winters day for once. Leaving Rowardennan in the early morning the loch was as still as a millpond, with other hills reflecting off of its mirror.
IMG_1170 - Version 3.jpg
A still Loch Lomond

Gaining height across the hillside, the mist was clearing and when, eventually, the snowline was reached, the views started to open up all around. The snow covered summit cone ahead was pristine white and even there the early low cloud was leaving it. Enough to get anyones heart racing! After trudging through the broken snow trail to the base of the summit slopes, axe and crampons were needed on the zig zag ascent to the north east corrie crest. On reaching the edge of the crest, I saw its string of mini peaks were perfectly white and formed a wonderful winter serration. Now there were rocks, fully rimed and fluted with iced whiteness and I crunched a line around the shadowed corrie rim, steering clear of the obvious and beautiful cornice that overhung it in elegant suspension. Stunning!!
IMG_1177 - Version 2.jpg
rocks on the summit ridge

Crunching around to the summit the views, snow and cloudscapes combined to make it a truly magical place to be!
IMG_1185.jpg
keep clear of that edge!
IMG_1197.jpg
the lonely, scoured summit
IMG_1205 - Version 2.jpg
cloudscape and serrated edges
IMG_1215.jpg
the north east corrie in winter raiment!

As always in the hills, I met some great people during the day, every one of them there, absorbing their own special moment. The near peaks of Arrochar, some exposed, some still partially hidden in cloud, showed off their whitened castles, proud above tawny hillsides. I think you can guess - I loved it!! The descent was a careful one and I probably left the crampons on longer than needed, but it was the sort of day that you did not want to end too quickly. Finally slid down to the loch side again, very grateful, with the memories firmly locked in the mountain trove. Scotland - it never fails to inspire does it? Andy S.
astuckes
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Re: Ben Lomond - a gleaming prize between the winter storms

Postby chompish » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 pm

astuckes wrote:
IMG_1177 - Version 2.jpg

Love that photo, it really gives the impression of how hard going it is! reminds me of one of my favourites i took on Ben Vrakie
chompish
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:7   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland