walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Allt Dearg Wind Farm, Cruach a'Phubuill, Argyll.

Allt Dearg Wind Farm, Cruach a'Phubuill, Argyll.

Postby JimboJim » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Date walked: 17/03/2014

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 14.25 km

Ascent: 477m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time for another wee trek up to Allt Dearg Wind Farm, as the weather looked hopeful later in the morning. You will find the start, on the right hand side, heading south on the A83, at Stronachullin Farm, just past Inverneil, about half way between Lochgilphead and Tarbert. This route takes you up via a decent 'forestry road' quality track, which is also useful, if you feel like the challenge of cycling up. At weekends the car park may be open, but if through the week, please try to find a spot off the road, which does not restrict access to the farm, windfarm gates, or any other access.
I had my good pal from work, Yvonne along for some banter and we were soon heading through the access gate, past the car park and the windfarm sub-station, roughly following the course of the Stronachullin Burn. Over on the south side there's remains of on old lead mine. After a bit of a climb the road levels out for half a mile, before crossing Robert's Bridge (nobody too famous, I don't think. A chappy connected with the project!) From here, the hike starts to get progressively steeper and as luck would have it, for me and Yvie, progressively wetter and windier. A reminder how conditions can vary even on small hills.
I must admit, I had earlier guessed, Yvie might be ready for turning back by now, as she hasn't done much of this hiking lark, but she's a stubborn old boot and was not for turning. (Ain't that right, Yvonne!) Occasionally, you might meet someone out stalking deer, as on this occasion. I am always a bit worried about getting an earful, if we'd scared off the beasts, but this fellow was nice and friendly, having a bit of banter and reassured us we weren't causing him any problems. Having seen big herds up here before, I was quick to point out to Yvonne, some likely looking suspects running over the hill, only to be rather embarrassed when she pointed out they were merely sheep!
DSCF2760_1141_800.JPG
Nearly there.
DSCF2755_1067_800.JPG
NE up Loch Fyne.

By this time the weather was really closing in, totally obscuring the wind turbines apart from the vague whirring noise, or was it the hurricane? Despite one or two wee stops for refuelling, Yvie declined the temptation to call it a day, although feeling the pace in various parts of the body, especially the cheeks! I knew we were up close to the turbines by now, but even I got a start, when one loomed over us suddenly, as the mist lessened for a moment, before it vanished just as quickly, again.
Once over the worst of the climbing, the road branches off to the various turbines and can be a wee bit of a maze, with a couple of loops, which one might potentially, go round and round all day. I'd suggest keeping right, by No.4, 2 and 1.
050_1001_768.JPG
Turbine 1, Generator Genius and another genius, Yvonne?
Just past here, there is a back-up exit track, which you could take to come out at Achahoish, or Ormsary, if you were really up for a big one, or on the bike, but it is definitely a rougher track. One day, I plan to make a triangular walk over to Meall Mor and Meall Odhar, highest hill in Knapdale and Kintyre. Meantime, carry on round the loop for another 100 or so yards and you will see a small cairn, marking the summit.
052_1024_767.JPG
Made it!

As you can imagine, or as we had to imagine, there are great views to be had from here, if visibility is good. I have been up half a dozen times and only once had a decent outlook. Just by luck and in the time it takes you to say 'get the camera out, ' the mist suddenly vanished. Not much, but enough to see Loch Fyne, Lochgilphead and Loch Caolisport. On a good day, one can see round 360 degrees and pick out many notable summits, such as Ben Nevis, Cruachan, Ben Lui, Arrochar Alps, nearby Meall Mor, Inverclyde, Ayrshire, Arran Hills, Ireland, Paps of Jura, Mull, Morven, Lochaber, etc, etc. Beautiful - on a good day, so no doubt Yvie will be up and down there like a yo-yo, waiting for that view!
DSCF5706_1143_800.JPG
Towards Cruachan, Glencoe Hills and Lochgilphead.
DSCF3309_1123_800.JPG
The Gilp and Ardrishaig.

I think we were about 1hr 40m to the top, which wasn't bad, allowing for the wind. Anyway, only time for one, or two quick photos, 'refreshement' stops++ for the old boy, gloves on, then down we went, back to the car, near enough nine miles in 3.25h. Congratulations and thanks for the company, Yvie. You're tougher, more stubborn - and fitter than I thought!
(And, as you'll have already figured, photo's taken over several trips!)
Attachments
DSCF2758_1067_800.JPG
Up, or doon?
DSCF3329_1068_800.JPG
Port na Ceardaich, Ceann Loch Caolisport.
053_1024_767.JPG
Windswept.
009_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
It is cycle-able!
DSCF3310_1167_800.JPG
Cruach a'Phubuill, from Meall Odhar.
DSCF3329_1068_800.JPG
Ceann Loch Caolisport.
DSCF3523_1068_800.JPG
Ben More, Mull.
DSCF3327_1068_800.JPG
Meall Mor, from Meall Odhar, in winter.
DSCF5705_1068_800.JPG
The Paps of Jura, from Cruach a'Phubuill.
DSCF5708_989_800.JPG
And my sister-in-law, Fiona on a better day.
DSCF5712_1067_800.JPG
And, me - on the same better day.
DSCF5713_1024_768.JPG
Ben Nevis, behind Lochgilphead, slightly to left of centre.
DSCF5714_1068_800.JPG
Up Loch Fyne towards Furnace and Arrochar Alps.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland