walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Dothaidh

Beinn an Dothaidh

Postby happyhiker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh

Date walked: 28/03/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday saw us head up to Bridge of Orchy for a wee walk up Beinn an Dothaidh. This was a nice wee trip up (recent) memory lane - my first munro was Beinn Dorain back in July 2009. On that trip we got caught in some pretty miserable weather and decided to save Beinn an Dothaidh for another day. well Sunday was that day :-)
It looked pretty horrendous when we parked up at the Bridge of Orchy hotel
photo.jpg
Looking up to the hills form the hotel car park

We sat in the car mustering up the courage to go outside and after about ten minutes the cloud started to lift. By the time we set off it was actually very nice out. It was a bit boggy in places but nothing too bad. We got decent walking weather right up to 750m and then the snow started :)

As we headed up it was def getting worse and by the time we were near the summit it was a total whiteout! my first experience of absolutely zero visibility - unable to distinguish ground form sky. After a minute to get used to it I actually loved it! quite a wee adventure. However i was also delighted that i was not in sole control of navigation at this point and kiltedbiggles was doing a fine job of keeping us right :D
Finally made it to a very snowy and white top and made a rapid and direct descent.
photo-1.jpg
kiltedbiggles and me on the summit

I think a day up a hill in the snow is a fine start to British summertime :lol:

Also testing out various bits of software on app - tried tracking the route which seemed to work out quite successfully and did not totally zap the iphone power!

1269872956-01538-1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

nae deer today though :-(

Did pop in to the Bridge of Orchy hotel on our return - when did it all change?? I was looking forward to a decent burger... instead there were 'tempura oysters' on the menu!!!!
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Re: Beinn an Dothaidh

Postby kevsbald » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:48 pm

You two should be the faces of Berghaus!

Bridge of Orchy usually does a good pint but it's been a couple of years since I ate in there. Nae burgers? Fit next? I hope it doesn't get too posh.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland