walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A superb day out on Binnein Shios

A superb day out on Binnein Shios

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:51 am

Fionas included on this walk: Binnein Shios

Date walked: 23/03/2014

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 545m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After walking in rain, hail and snow on Friday and Saturday, it was great to walk today in sunshine with blue sky overhead. I parked in the large lay-by near Luiblea, which is also used for ascents of Creag Pitridh, Geal Charn and Beinn a'Chlachair and for walking access to Corrour Estate.

An ascent of Binnein Shios is often combined with an ascent of Binnein Shuas. However, it was my intention today to ascend Binnein Shios only. I am considering leaving Binnein Shuas for my final Graham (assuming I ever complete them).

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

From the lay-by I set off walking along the excellent quality track which skirts round Binnein Shuas and carries on to Lochan na h-Earba (and beyond). I last walked this track in 2004 for ascents of Creag Pitridh, Geal Charn and Beinn a'Chlachair.

River Spean and Binnein Shuas:

Binnein Shuas:

The track today was mostly clear of snow which made for much faster progress than the day previous where much time was spent trudging through drifts.

Track leading to Lochan na h-Earba:

On reaching Lochan na h-Earba, I could not take the track next to the loch as it was flooded. Instead I took the higher track. The water was right up to the edge of the higher track.

Higher track round West-end of Lochan na h-Earba:

Looking along Lochan na h-Earba:

Flooded lochside track:

The circa 4km walk alongside Lochan na h-Earba was straight-forward. During the walk along this track the weather changed from sun to snow to sun to snow and back again to sun.

Track alongside Lochan na h-Earba:

On seeing the East-end of Binnein Shuas, I was glad that I was not descending it today. The descent off the East-end would have been 'interesting' given the large drifts of snow above the gullies.

Binnein Shuas:

Looking back to Binnein Shuas:

On reaching a track junction, I took a left turn to head for the bridge over the narrow section of Lochan na h-Earba.

Binnein Shios:

Creag a'Chuir:

The ascent of Binnein Shios was fairly easy. I made my way up towards the end of the line of trees.

Looking back from ascent of lower slopes of Binnein Shios:

Looking towards Binnein Shuas during ascent of Binnein Shios:

Ascending next to the treeline up Binnein Shios:

Once on the ridge, I stopped several times to take photos.

Binnein Shuas and Loch Laggan from Binnein Shios:

Ascending Binnein Shios:

I took the following panoramic photo with my iPhone - not too bad a photo for a phone camera.

Panorama from Binnein Shios (Click here to see full-size version):

Lochan na h-Earba from Binnein Shios:

Looking towards East top of Binnein Shios from West top:

The walk from the West top to the East top was the most difficult part of the day owing to several snow drifts.

Looking back to West top:

On reaching the summit, I stopped for my first drink of the day and to put on some sun cream. I then carried on for circa 100m to reach another small bump.

At the summit of Binnein Shios:

East-end of Loch Laggan from circa 100m beyond summit:

I then returned back down to Lochan na h-Earba via exactly the same route by following my inbound footprints.

Looking across to Binnein Shuas:

On reaching directly opposite to Binnein Shuas's crags, I stopped to take some photos. One of the best climbs in Scotland (Ardverikie Wall - HS) goes up the side of this hill.

Binnein Shuas crag (zoom):

Binnein Shuas crag (zoom):

For the final five or six kilometres it was just a case of head down and plod on.

Beinn a'Chlachair:

Binnein Shuas and Binnein Shios:

Creag Mheagaidh:

Luiblea:

Fantastic to walk in nice weather. Roll-on Spring :D.
foggieclimber

Re: A superb day out on Binnein Shios

Postby scoob999 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:22 am

Excellent report foggy :D
I take it you've already done Binnein Shuas since you never went over it, or perhaps the conditions weren't right?

just away to find out more info about it, and quite possibly the nicest hill in that area?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby seasgaich99 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 am

Brilliant pictures! Very jealous, as I had to honour a promise to wife to tend garden after a morning bird survey.

Climbed both of these in late October 1990, though not in such glorious conditions as yours.

Well done! :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:216
Fionas:113   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 am

scoob999 wrote:Excellent report foggy :D
I take it you've already done Binnein Shuas since you never went over it, or perhaps the conditions weren't right?

just away to find out more info about it, and quite possibly the nicest hill in that area?

No Scoob, I am considering keeping Binnein Shuas for my final Graham. Also, would be cool to ascend it via Ardverikie Wall.
foggieclimber

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Great shots of Ardverikie Wall - and a great day out. This was one of many highlights of last year for me :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland