walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Munro

First Munro

Postby fingeez » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 23/03/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 855m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well finally bite the bullet and decided to tackle my first Munro. Decided on Ben Chonzie as its fairly close to where i stay and i know the roads to it pretty good.

So up early, all packed up and arrived at the small parking area at glen Lednock around 10.15am. Few other cars here already and another arrived just as i was suited, booted and ready to head along the path.

Maybe 20 minutes later it was pack off, jacket/hat/gloves off and then along my way again haha

100_0165.jpg
Early on the path and the snow appears

The path here was in good order and a nice easy walk, through a couple of gates and passed the small dam. I stopped for a quick water break and bit of flapjack (ahh what an excuse to eat cakes early in the morning :) ) and snapped a couple of pics while looking at the view.

100_0166.jpg
Back down the path

The path ahead was reaching into the cloud, ah well back on with the pack and onwards and upwards :)

100_0167.jpg
The path ahead

Carried on getting a bit steep but still a good path for the most apart from patches of snow here ad there. Decided to have a quick look back the way id came and realised i was now in the cloud and visability was getting poor.

100_0169.jpg
The path i just came along obscured by the snow!

Anyway onwards i went plodding along merrily. Finally the snow covered everything and the path was long gone. Snow was fairly crisp and i was only occasionally sinking through the surface up past my ankles and occasionally upto my knee's. Visability was next to nothing by now and everywhere i looked it was white :) so time to get the map and compass out and check which diection next. While i did this i also pondered if the footprints i was seeing were another walker with crampons on or if id stumbled upon the fabled Yeti :P

100_0172.jpg
Time to check the map.

Carried on up the snow covered slope finally reaching the line of fence posts. Followed these all the way to the summit and stopped at the shelter which was full of snow, so took shelter out of the wind by its side and had a quick bite to eat and some soup.

100_0173.jpg
Shelter full of snow.

Well hands were getting cold while eating up here, so time to get the pack back on and start the long walk back. As luck would have it the cloud lifted about 15 minutes away from the summit. Ah well no going back just for some more pics lol.

100_0176.jpg
Views a short way back from the summit.

100_0179.jpg
Some more views

100_0181.jpg
View back to the summit now cloud free

Time to head off again. Followed the same path back down again. Never did see any hares though! Did see some grouse though :)
Got back to parking area around 3pm after nearly 8 miles and had a brill day out on the hills. Now just the drive back to Perth for me, plenty of time to start thinking about the next one though ;)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:113   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: First Munro

Postby mountain coward » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:15 am

You sound to have had a briliant first Munro - great choice for it anyway. I always think flapjack makes an excellent brekkie/hill food! :D
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Well done, Ross.
Winter navigation on your own and your 1st Munro - no stopping you now.
Have you got the bug?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:117
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Nice one. I'm pretty sure those are yeti prints too. :)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:115   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby allan78 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Do you think it would be possible to get to the top without crampons in this weather?

I'd like to get up a hill this weekend but my friend doesn't have crampons, so thought this would be one that could be walked without them.
allan78

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Allan - a fair question but impossible for anyone but you and your friend to answer. Walking with or without crampons in the current conditions can boil down to personal preference. I've done both and would say that with crampons is easier most of the time in most snow conditions and I certainly feel more comfortable with them.

With a freeze forecast for the next few days, I cannot recommend going out without ice-axe and crampons as conditions high could be very slippy. You should also take note of the avalanche risk this weekend and plan any route accordingly.I'm not meaning to be the prophet of doom but trying to help you and your mate make an informed judgement.

Ross - well done on a good report.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:255   Corbetts:52
Grahams:26   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby davetherave » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Well done you

kevsbald wrote:Winter navigation on your own and your 1st Munro - no stopping you now.
Have you got the bug?

I defo agree with Baldkev,!!!!!
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Grahams:26   Donalds:5

Postby fingeez » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Hey Mountain Coward (loving the name haha). Yeah i had a brilliant time for my first Munro. haha yeah i think i'll be munching flapjack on the hills for a long time :)

Hey Kevsbald thanks for the comment. Yup def got the bug, drove round the west coast last august after passing my driving test and looking forward to get climbing all the hills i went past :)
Went up Ben Vrackie with my sis, mum and nephew last september and had a brill time, cant wait to get out all the time and enjoy the views.

lol yeah paul im gonna make it my mission to capture the yeti, im guessing its gonna take me exploring every Munro to find it though, ahh well its a task i'll take up in the puruit of discovery haha

Hey allan i'd say its def possible to get up without crampons ( i never used any the whole way). its not really steep at any of the sections, but is very icy and really deep snow all over. Really down to your own choice, with the weather over the last few days it could be even more icy and snow covered than when i was there. I'd agree with Leithysuburbs on making an informed decision, def check all the weather reports for the area before you go and be prepeared to turn back if conditions arent good enough if you go without the crampons.

Thanks for the comment aswell leithysuburbs

lol thanks davetherave

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 am

Hi Fingeez

Be prepared to get the "bug" and the subsequent strange looks when you try to explain to friends why you spent (and enjoyed) a holiday walking in Harris instead of sunbathing in the Med :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:255   Corbetts:52
Grahams:26   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby allan78 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks for the advice fingeez (and others), I'll take my crampons and axe, but my friend is really only a fair weather walker so doesn't have Winter equipment. I'll drag her up if need be!!

I chose Ben Chonzie as it is a large mound rather than having steep faces, so thought a long plod up could be possible. Weather forecast is quite good for the weekend so we'll hopefully get lucky and have some decent views.
allan78

Postby fingeez » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 am

Hey Leithysuburbs

haha yeah i know what you mean, i got those looks when i said i was going touring the west coast last year for a week. Most of my mates were like "why? go to ibiza for a week or something" lol.
A couple of mates thought they might come for a few walks with me aswell, until i said i'd be leaving for most at around 7 or 8 am, they quickly changed their minds opting for a long lie instead. ah well dont know what there missing haha.

Hey allan

yeah def a long plod lol. Yeah forecast looks could, so hopefully you'll get better views from the summit than i did. let us know how you get on.

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby allan78 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Fingeez, we went up Scheihallion instead, was a good walk, no need for crampons and some great views.

I think we made the correct choice, Ben Chonzie can wait.
allan78

Postby fingeez » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey allan

Sounds good, you'll have to get a walk report done with some pics lol :)

Yeah theres no hurry with them, all the time in the world haha, i had a walk up Driesh and Mayar yesterday aswell, will get a wee report done for that soon with some pics, no need for crampons either :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland