walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jelly Knees on Bla Bheinn - when Skye is the limit

Jelly Knees on Bla Bheinn - when Skye is the limit

by Mountainlove » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 am

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 29/03/2014

Time taken: 4.15 hours

Distance: 8.8 km

Ascent: 982m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Jelly Knees on Bla Bheinn - when Skye is the limit

Postby CharlesT » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Well done in getting to the true top, done a bit of hands, knees and hope stuff myself in my time along with the "don't fall off" mantra. Got caught out in a similar way on Sgurr Mor in an axeless and cramponless final 50 metres of slippy stuff that I didn't expect. Lesson learned!

Can be confusing Bla Bheinn, climbed it last year in what became persistent rain and thick clag, usual July weather for Skye :lol: , reached the summit fine by the normal route and then caught up with another party back at the car park whom I hadn't seen on the hill. They asked where I'd been, I told them and they then asked if the summit had a trig point as they couldn't find one. I said yes and they said oh! rather dejectedly. All four had managed to get soaked going to the wrong summit and in the middle of a bizarre striptease as they tried to get into dry clothes, at which the ladies appeared much more adept than the men, had the grace to congratulate me on reaching the true top. I did of course commiserate with them, but a photo of the moment would have been priceless. :)
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland