walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Monadhiliath Munros

The Monadhiliath Munros

Postby seamus0 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 28/03/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 26 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This route was an excellent walk to do in the winter. Although the distance was long for a winter day there was plenty of time to complete the 3 Munro circuit and once the first climb was made, there was not much more climbing to do for the rest of the day….and easy 3 Munros !
IMG_3002.JPG
Start of walk

We started at the carpark on the hill behind Newtonmore (691998) at 8am and followed the wee path heading north behind the hillock. This climbed slowly for around 2km following the Allt a' Chaorainn.
IMG_3008.JPG
Walking up Glen towards bothy

The track was a bit of a midden with all the melting snow. I think there was some mention of a footbridge in some of the guides. We couldn't find it, but crossed the river easily jumping boulders when we saw the wee bothy on the other side at 688022.
IMG_3013_2.jpg
Crossing the stream

We reached the bothy in about 1hr and was in descent condition. I guess you could sleep in here if required.
IMG_3015.JPG
The wee bothy

From here we headed NW climbing steadily but easily up the slopes of the first Munro A' Chailleach. We saw plenty of wildlife on our ascent, white hares, and ptarmigans were a common feature.
IMG_3032_2.jpg
A bit of wildlife

We arrived at the top after 2 hrs from the start.
IMG_3049.JPG
Walking to top of first Munro

IMG_3050.JPG
Top of A' Chailleach

At this point the weather was starting to turn, and we had a brief interval of blustery wintry conditions. After some refreshment we didn't hang about, and headed N to the next Munro Carn Sgulain. The small decent down between the 2 hills was trickier than expected in the snow, so we decided to put on crampons just to be on the safe side. After crossing the dip, we took them off once at the top of the 2nd Munro, 3 hrs from the start which had a rather depressing excuse of a small cairn at the top.
IMG_3052.JPG
Walking to 2nd Munro

IMG_3059.JPG
Rather depressing cairn on Carn Sgulain

By this time the weather was starting to clear and we were fortunate to get blue sky for the remainder of the walk. We were also thrilled that no more uphill was required for the remainder of the day, although a 15km walk was still required to complete the circuit.

IMG_3061.JPG
Fence posts lead all the way to 3rd Munro

IMG_3072.JPG
Following the posts

We followed the line of fence posts, some of which were covered in snow for 7km heading west then SW crossing over several tops.
IMG_3098.JPG
Carn Dearg in the distance our 3rd Munro

By the time we got to Carn Dearg is was approaching 2pm. We could see the large cornicing as we approached it, which looked pretty unstable in the warm climate.
IMG_3108.JPG
Climbing up Carn Dearg

IMG_3114.JPG
Sport the cornice!

IMG_3117.JPG
Cornicing along ridge

It looked like it would break off at any minute. We had a decision to make how to come off it. Although some guides suggest backtracking and heading down Gleann Ballach, we thought that would be a rather boggy option given all the snow melt. So we decided to head off the ridge heading S, and come off the bealach towards Loch Dubh.
IMG_3143.JPG
Top of Carn Dearg (right beside the cornice)

IMG_3149.JPG
walker in the distance

IMG_3170.JPG
Loch Dubh

Considering the amount of snow up top, there was little or no snow on this grassy ridge. By this stage the sun was out and the wind had completely dropped. It seemed summer had arrived early! We basked in the sunshine overlooking the Loch and then made our way down in the hope of picking up the track from the Loch.
IMG_3187.JPG
Route back from Loch Dubh

I think the maps need updating a bit. Although there was evidence of some tracks and grouse butts, I wouldn't recommend following this route to pick up a well-defined track (which is what is inferred in the maps). the track was pretty much non-existent and for the majority of the time, we were walking in heather or bog.
IMG_3192.JPG
Dalballoch

We continued round the Gleann Lochain towards the River Calder. The old cottage at Dalballoch made a nice pitstop but we were glad to follow a defined path at the end. Again this whole area was considerably boggy again most likely due to the winter melt. We followed the Calder east which led us back to the carpark.
IMG_3209.JPG
Route back to carpark

All-in-all a super day to bag 3 easy Munros although the walk and bogginess was a bit tiresome in places. Its not very often you get to 'explore' a cornice in sunshine!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: The Monadhiliath Munros

Postby Silverhill » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Nice one Seamus, I enjoyed reading your report! Good plan doing these hills in winter on such a lovely day. I’m slightly envious, as I will be doing them in summer. I like the pictures of the cornices. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland