walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich & Beinn Narnain - spot the difference!

Ben Vorlich & Beinn Narnain - spot the difference!

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 29/03/2014

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19.03 km

Ascent: 2026m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Who said that all mountains have their own character? With 30 - 50m visibility, I think it's something of a challenge to distinguish one trig point from another!

Not that we started out expecting it to be quite as bad as it turned out to be. MWIS was indicating a cloud base around 600m, lifting during the day, but possibly lower around Loch Lomond. Possibly...!!!

So why even start, especially with the long drive to get there on Friday night???

Well, some people have something to answer for. After reading Black Panther's reports (Feb 17th and March 22nd) - and drooling over the fantastic pics, I could restrain my impatience no longer (Black Panther, you have much to answer for.....!!!).

So we planned to do the Inveruglas 4 - Ben Vorlich, Ben Vane, Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain - imagining that optimism, hope and tensely crossed fingers would force the cloud base higher.

It didn't!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_0202 reduced.jpg
At 07.00am it didn't look that promising. Cloud base below 500m as we started up towards the Ben Vorlich ridge.

IMG_0204 reduced.jpg
Looking back at Loch Lomond, just before we get into the clouds, it looks pretty murky...

IMG_0205 reduced.jpg
This is pretty representative of conditions above 500m for the whole day. Still, it gave us excellent orienteering practice.

IMG_0206 reduced.jpg
We hadn't fully taken on board how uneven the ridge is, so route finding was really quite a challenge. Maybe I should get one of those new fangled GPS things that I keep seeing people with... However, we stuck rigidly to our compass bearings, and, slightly to our surprise, arrived exactly at the trig point.

IMG_0207 reduced.jpg
Going back we decided to follow the path down to the Loch Sloy dam, since it was clear that there are some pretty hairy cliffs on the Loch Sloy side. At one point I broke through the snow, and one left leg disappeared up to hip level, giving my right knee a nasty twist. Shortly afterwards the same thing happened to Frank. A salutory reminder of the risks of walking in snow....
On the way down we started to meet a few people coming up the path. And then as we descended below 500m, the Loch Sloy dam came into view through the mist.

IMG_0208 reduced.jpg
We stopped to shed some layers. And I very cleverly managed to leave behind our map. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until we got to the bottom of the hill...
Even this view of the bottom half of A'Chrois didn't provide any consolation.... In these conditions, carrying on without a map was not an option, given that these hills were new to us. So we decided to go back to civilisation to try to buy another map. As it turned out, the only place we could get one was Arrochar, and it was now getting too late to attempt to summit all 4 munros. So we changed our plans.....

IMG_0209 reduced.jpg
...and decided to do only Beinn Narnain, starting from Arrochar.
Looking back across Loch Long at Cruach an t-Sidhein and Beinn a'Mhanaich, the cloud base didn't seem to be lifting very much, and people we met coming down from The Cobbler reported absolute white-out conditions.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_0210 reduced.jpg
So we flogged through the clag, taking bearings every few minutes, and eventually arrived without event at a trig point, that didn't look very distinguishable from the one we'd paid a visit to in the morning...
One really needs to be fond of trig points!

IMG_0211 reduced.jpg
Coming back down, the sun tantalised us by almost appearing from time to time - The Cobbler is up in the mist on the right hand side.

IMG_0212 reduced.jpg
But not enough to reveal the tops - The Cobbler is still in the mist.

IMG_0213 reduced.jpg
Looking back at Beinn Narnain and A'Chrois at 17.30, tops still in the cloud. Fortunately....

IMG_0214 reduced.jpg
... we just happened to chance upon a building of the greatest architectural, historical and cultural interest in which to round off the day.
Over a half of shandy we decided to try to be more patient next time...
Last edited by Alteknacker on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Ben Vorlich & Beinn Narnain - spot the difference!

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm impressed you had the energy to start again from sea level on a day like that!

There's no way to break this to you gently, but the summit of Ben Vorlich is actually the cairn 200m north of the trig point: so you have a good excuse to go back and see the view!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Ben Vorlich & Beinn Narnain - spot the difference!

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:32 pm

jmarkb wrote:I'm impressed you had the energy to start again from sea level on a day like that!

There's no way to break this to you gently, but the summit of Ben Vorlich is actually the cairn 200m north of the trig point: so you have a good excuse to go back and see the view!

Yes, I noticed that on the map, but didn't feel to purist about it because time was tight, and we were still aiming at getting up all 4 munros at that stage. That is, until some half-wit dropped the map....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland