walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter ML, Cairngorm Poo Project and a night in a snow hole

Winter ML, Cairngorm Poo Project and a night in a snow hole

by CurlyWurly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:04 am

Date walked: 25/03/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Winter ML, Cairngorm Poo Project and a night in a snow hole

Postby CurlyWurly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:53 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Was it actually a comfy night? I presume you'd have to put something round a down sleeping bag or was it not very wet inside...

It was not wet at all but because I had took my 4 season bag and it was 'down', to be on the safe side i slid it and my therm-a-rest inside the bivi bag.
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:06 pm

I heard you get dripped on? Didn't you get dripped on? I'd have thought with all the breathing going on, you would!
mountain coward

Postby CurlyWurly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:08 pm

mountain coward wrote:I heard you get dripped on? Didn't you get dripped on? I'd have thought with all the breathing going on, you would!

Yep that is correct but the trick is to smooth the ceiling with your shovel so the water runs to the side. Although we hacked up to close to the surface (the snow was about 1 and a half foot thick) we had managed to get it in a nice arch shape so all the water ran down the side :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland