walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye: Bruach na Frithe

Skye: Bruach na Frithe

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 25/08/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 950m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back again on Bruach na Frithe nearly twenty years after my previous visit. I didn't take any photographs this time either - thick mist is a boring subject! However, this time with a very experienced guide who knows the ridge well. A straightforward day on the hill this time, (rather than just touch the top, think better of continuing along the ridge in poor visibility and descending!) even if the weather, again, was still far from ideal. Easiest of the Skye Munros but I'd like to get up here on a fine day!

Does the sun ever shine on Skye? :D
Last edited by jonathan - norfolk on Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Skye: Bruach na Frithe

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:35 pm

P.S. Back on Skye again in August 2020. Still didn't see a damn thing! As soon as we got into the hills, down came the clag again!
Same thing happened again in July 2021 :(
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby Skyelines » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:12 pm

August is the worst summer month for cloud, mist and midges on Skye.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Verylatestarter » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:07 pm

I have a lot of affection for BnF as it was my first Munro. It also taught me how fast the weather can change in the hills, both to the worse and then for the better. The rest of the Black Cullins are still on my to do list despite visiting Skye nearly every year - I travel in hope and will be trying May next year because August (as noted above) seems to be blighted.

Good luck.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland