walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain & The Cobbler

Beinn Narnain & The Cobbler

Postby Benedict » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 02/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1225m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another great day, this time went with 2 flatmates, Angus and Pete. We took the train from Glasgow to Arrochar and Tarbet station, then walked the forest path to Arrochar, where we proceeded to climb Beinn Narnain. Struggled to find the path initially, mainly because it was a stream rather than a path, but find it we did. The path was then pretty easy to follow, with great views on the way up. We then got to a reasonably tricky bit, scrambling over rocks, which was a little trying, what with Pete's general distaste for heights and mine for climbing over icy/snowy rocks, but with encouragement from Angus and a general desire to actually reach the top, we went for it, and it was very much worth it. We then followed the route down the other side of the hill, which reaches the foot of The Cobbler, which included yet more improvised sledging from Angus and I. Despite general tiredness, we decided it'd be nice to do 2 hills, and the path up most of the cobbler is pretty easy going (basically a masssive staircase) and a reasonable climb to the top (not made particularly wonderful by the fact there was yet more snow and ice). From there we descended down to a dam (couldn't tell you the name), and then through a forest, with yet more rocky scrambling. This brought us back onto the path we took up from Loch Long, where we then descended upon Arrochar's chippy, a welcome rest for all. There'll be some photos up later, as my internet provider is a load of utter cock and won't let me upload any right now...

Update: photos are now added! Hope you enjoy :)

Ben
Attachments
DSCF0218.JPG
Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler
DSCF0203.JPG
DSCF0197.JPG
DSCF0186.JPG
Us three at the top
DSCF0182.JPG
Angus and Pete
DSCF0167.JPG
View to the Cobbler
DSCF0157.JPG
Amazing views on the way up
DSCF0152.JPG
DSCF0149.JPG
View from the path to Arrochar
Last edited by Benedict on Sun May 02, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benedict
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Re: Beinn Narnain & The Cobbler

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Just read your report on Beinn Narnain heading up there on Sunday,how much snow is lying on the higher ground,hoping to continue over and climb Ben Ime also
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Narnain & The Cobbler

Postby Benedict » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 pm

There was a fair amount, but I'd imagine some of it's cleared by now, I'd just say be reasonably careful, and you'll be fine. We were looking at doing Beinn Ime in a couple of weeks time, let me know how it goes, have a decent trip up Narnain aswell
Benedict
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland