walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Vane and Vorlich - extreme egg rolling

Vane and Vorlich - extreme egg rolling

Postby Wok de dog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 19/04/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1722m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I planned to do this route with 2 pals, both of whom decided against it at the last hour.
getting up at 5a.m. to be at the bottom of the hill for 7:15 was the plan to get the miles under the belt before the sun got too hot. thank god as it turned out to be a belter of a day.
I was at the top of Ben Vorlich for 9ish at the cairn. thinking to myself how good it felt to be the first man and dog on the.....turning round I seen a fella putting his tent away, what chance have you got?
a wee chat then find a quiet spot for breakfast and to pretend we're alone, humph!
The Two V's 010 (480x640).jpg
Einstein the Border Terrier

The Two V's 011 (640x480).jpg
Looking back

The Two V's 014 (640x480).jpg
Majestic Pylon's

The Two V's 015 (640x480).jpg
Taming Nature

I knew it was possible to take a short cut to Ben Vane via Loch Sloy dam but wasn't sure if I was hardcore enough, I was. heading down, congratulating myself for being tough and thinking I would be the first person that day to bag 2 summits when I met a fella climbing the slope who had ran Ime Nanairn Vane and was nearly at the top of Vorlich....what chance have you got?
The Two V's 027 (640x480).jpg
Some Hills, at this point I don't know them very well
The Two V's 030 (640x480).jpg
How big is this egg you promised me?
The Two V's 032 (640x480).jpg
The Two V's 036 (640x480).jpg
The Two V's 038 (640x480).jpg
So, this massive egg you told me about....
The Two V's 087 (640x480).jpg
Happy Easter Son
The Two V's 104 (640x480).jpg
The Two V's 125 (640x480).jpg

I tossed the dog over the gate on top of the dam and woke up the midges, millions of the buggers. the dam was a highlight but as I walked across it Ben Vane was looming steeper and steeper. Straight up was the plan, after an hour of rapid climbing we started to head left and up to try and find the path at about 800m. we stopped to fill the water bottles and to fling the dog in the sluice.

up to the peak just about 12 noon and it was time for Einstein the dog's Easter, a hard boiled egg. We never rolled it incase we lost control and brained some walkers a few hundred metres below. The wee chap was so hungry He only went and ate the shell aswell.
the walk back down the real path was quite laborious and seemed to take for ever. At the visitor centre we took my boots off on the jetty for a paddle in loch Lomond and Einstein got launched in to cool down and to clean his under carriage.
The coffee from the cafe was bowfin' and the service to match, lesson learned.

What a day, my first 'good' day walking this year. the view's were outstanding and the weather was generous. It makes a difference not to be soaked to the pants, I am on my third camera this year and this one is waterproof to 6m. After I climb to 7m Who knows what happens to the guarantee?

That for me was Munro number 8 and 9.
Attachments
The Two V's 081 (640x480).jpg
The Two V's 052 (480x640).jpg
Wok de dog
Mountain Walker

Munros:200   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland