walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Burny feet on Beinn a'Bheithir

Burny feet on Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby GillC » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 19/04/2014

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1414m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a Beithir has been on the radar since my AE trip last August, too claggy,,, then was going to try in November at the Kinlochleven meet, too snowy (although others did venture up). So my choice for the Easter weekend was to get these two in, John suggesting Cruach Ardrain for the following day.

Camping at the Red Squirrel on Friday evening was manic. The place was heaving, bikers, dogs, kids HUGE tents, little tents and hardly enough room to swing a guy line.

I left home shortly after 4, reaching the campsite around 6:30pm with John still over an hour away I found a suitably flat and roomy site for the new Aura 3 man tents debut. Very conscious of putting this up,,unaided and under the watchful eyes of those around me. Took my time, got the main body up with the 3 poled sections but struggled getting the pins in the steel tubing. Pottered around for a while then thankfully John arrived. Some parts of this are defo better with 2 pairs of hands.

Tent up and dinner on by half 8 (ish) Made up the lunches for tomorrow, a few drinks in the spacious porch on our comfy chairs then off to bed. One word - BALTIC!

So, after very little sleep on my part (John had 2 sleeping bags!) We were up and away bright and early, arriving at Ballachulish Co-Op car park for an 8am start.

DSCN0676.JPG
View to the ridge

DSCN0677.JPG
John with the Eastern ridge

John had previously attempted Beinn a'Beithir via the ridge on the Eastern side, further round than the standard Beinn Bhan route.

DSCN0681.JPG
The ridge looking a little less daunting from higher up the track.

DSCN0685.JPG
Shaping up to a lovely day

This way was even steeper and once above the tree line, we had several stretches of rocky scrambling, nothing hard but one or two bits had a fair bit of exposure to the right, over Coire Riabhach. Johns last outing up here was in snow where a bypass path was used but proved to be too tricky under snow with very loose and steep ground beneath.

DSCN0687.JPG
Over to the Pap of Glencoe and the end of the AE ridge

DSCN0689.JPG
Getting to grips with the rocky ridge,,Johns in there somewhere

Our choice of footwear today was winter boots, anticipating more snow. This was a BAD decision, hardly any snow on the paths, what there was, was short, soft and of no consequence. The boots then, just proved to be heavy, inflexible and a pain in the balls (of my feet) to be honest. By the time we were up the rocky ridge and on to the top of Sgorr Bhan I was in some discomfort with a long way still ahead. I'm not normally the fastest up dem der hills but this slows you down even more. Still this was a fabulous sunny, warm, clear day and the views alone were a welcome distraction.

DSCN0690.JPG
What a wonderful blue sky

DSCN0692.JPG
Views North

DSCN0694.JPG
Cracking ridge to Sgorr Dhearg

DSCN0695.JPG
Up the edge to the top

Reaching the top of Sgorr Dhearg at 1024mtrs was amazing, very short stretch from what looked a much longer way from Bhan. The trig here was quite busy so we had some food first and let the other team move off before getting our pics taken.

DSCN0697.JPG
Munro #68 and some sore feet

DSCN0700.JPG
Over to Sgorr Dhonuill

I had harboured plans of letting John do the other one on his own while I headed off with the burny feet. But with a bit of consideration, I changed into thinner socks and what a difference it made. Gave me enough oomph to push on down into the corry before the trudge up to Sgorr Dhonuill.

DSCN0703.JPG
Another ridge up to the last hill

DSCN0707.JPG
John checking out the drop

The hills were very busy. Only saw a couple of people coming up the same ridge us, but by now, there were several large groups all over the tops, probably most have come up by the trade route through the trees.

With the second Munro Sgorr Dhonuill just ahead, we stashed out packs, taking only poles, cameras and water. Up another wee rocky scramble, not as much as earlier in the day, and we were there. Amazing, Munro #69 for me, about #195 for John. These two were harder than I'd anticipated and the boot situation really got in the way so we had been out for a lot longer than we thought we would be.

DSCN0708.JPG
Munro #69

DSCN0709.JPG
John chillin' in the spring sunshine

After cooling my feet with some snow, boots back on, one more pic taken, sorted.

DSCN0714.JPG
Looking out to the isles

Heading back off the top, a few girls were covering the scrambly bit up and 2 or 3 seemed to be having vertigo issues. Helped them out a bit pointing out which boulders to use etc. then off they went, nearly at the top. On down for us, picked up our bags and dropped off down the fairly steep but short Coire Sgreamhach. Near the bottom, we were passed by 3 other climbers, all stopping at the bottom to take on some lovely cold water from the fast flowing wee burn there. Topped up our own bottles and with the sun on our backs above the ridge, we headed off. Smashing views back up to the ridge with people picked out against the skyline.

DSCN0717.JPG
Back up to the ridge from the Coire

DSCN0720.JPG
John in the lush forests heading down to Ballachulish

Heading down to the treeline, some welcome shade and reapply some sun cream. Smashing path down through the trees, in and out of shade, undulating over small rocky sections and burns etc. Eventually we joined up with the track and mainly followed the odd waymarker for Parking. This brings you down to a car park within the forest from where we followed a lower track past a farm/b&b and along the old Ballachulish Ferry railway line path, where the old station platform forms part of the lane wall. This route, we thought, brought us out at St Johns church on the main road but we actually came out further west, around the bridge, so we had a 2 mile walk back to Ballachullish, any relief I had from the fresh socks and much scrunching of feet was to be really tested here. I stopped often, squished the toes and feet then on again, worked for short bursts.

So, over 9hrs later, we reached the car, my thirst, initially for Peroni, had dwindled, heck, a bottle of milk was all I wanted now. :lol: Fresh feet on, milk bought and rolls for tomorrows lunch. Fab

Few drinks in the new Glencoe Gathering hostelry, followed by a few more in the Clachaig, (MOBBED) and a chance meeting with Darren, a fellow Walk Highlander, brisk wander back along the newly laid path running the length of the Clachaig to Glencoe road. Couple more drinks and a natter before an even COLDER night in the tent. Ending up with 3 jackets, waistcoat and top, 2 pairs of trousers, 2 x socks, hat , gloves, sleeping bag and big woolly blanket, still chittering.

A long, hard but very rewarding day. Thanks so much to John for keeping me going
Last edited by GillC on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Burny feet on Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby Tomsie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Well done on keeping going ya big whinger :lol:

This is route we took

Ballachulish Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby GillC » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Tomsie wrote:Well done on keeping going ya big whinger :lol:

This is route we took

Oi,,Im not Big (a whinger possibly,) but not Big lol x :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Brilliant stuff Gill. Done this a few years ago but seen nothing all day and got very wet. I'll return one day in good weather for sure.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 pm

I remember Johns previous attempt :lol: :lol:

The route out, you can avoid a good part of the road back, its not obvious but when you hit oneof the forest roads take a right, its uphill slightly but then skirts around higher up in the woods above the road, but comes out just before the small church. pal of mine was in front when we did them and he missed it, we were back at the car park 40 minutes before him.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Cracking report and pics. Well done! :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 am

Great stuff and a good route. It's a great walk this. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mr_ash_37 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 am

Looks cracking, well done. Nice pics too.
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby GillC » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks all, Aye Dave,,he remembers it well,,even pointed out the precise boulder he struggled with before hitting the 'bypass path' lol

Cheers JP,,praise indeed lol

Fantastic pair of hills.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:09 am

Think I scarred him for life that day, mind you I've never been the same since :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 pm

nice of John to donate his spare sleeping bag!! :lol: ...jeez you seem to be having a hard time with your feet/ boot situation ....i can't tolerate the burn either ...time for trainers ... :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby GillC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 am

SAVAGEALICE wrote:nice of John to donate his spare sleeping bag!! :lol: ...jeez you seem to be having a hard time with your feet/ boot situation ....i can't tolerate the burn either ...time for trainers ... :D

Thanks Alice,,,second sleeping bag and self inflating mat secured for this weekends camp in Mullardoch and defo be in summer boots. Be good to meet you,,Im gonna do my best to keep up with you fast guys on the long walk in. lol (be gentle with me :? ) See ya at the weekend.
GillC
Munro compleatist

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland