walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

'Great' Friday on Ben Chonzie

'Great' Friday on Ben Chonzie

Postby howzat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 18/04/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Predictions of some glorious weather over the Easter break were too tempting to ignore. So on the eve of a planned trip from Edinburgh to stay with the wife’s sister in Blairgowrie for Easter I hatched a plan that involved persuading the wife to make a small(ish) detour to Glen Lednock so I could bag Ben Chonzie while she had a look around Crieff with her other sister before making our way onwards to Blairgowrie for the long weekend.

So I found myself waving goodbye to the wife and setting off up Glen Lednock under cloudless skies around 09:45 on Good Friday for my first outing of the season. I followed the easy going track up past a small dam on the Invergeldie Burn where it became steeper and rougher.

Start of the track from the car park, passing in front of the 2 white cottages & through a gate

Track continues up the side of the cottages

Onwards and gently upwards at first

Past a small dam before becoming rougher & steeper

It only took about an hours effort (the fleece soon had to be discarded as it was already pretty warm with no wind at all) before the track ended on the crest of the hill where a small cairn marked the turn off along a grassy path. This soon led to a line of rusty fence posts that were easily followed along a very broad easy going grassy ridge all the way to the summit which I reached a little under 1hr 40 mins after setting off. The views afforded in all directions were great particularly across to the snow capped Munros running from Loch Tay to Crianlarich and beyond.

Looking back views opening up as height gained

Cairn marking the turn off onto a grassy path

Fence posts marking the way to the summit

Looking back as height gained

Summit shelter now in view

Made in a little under 1hr 40 mins

Being such a glorious day there were a few groups of other walkers around and after a good blather, a bite to eat while taking in the views, I set off back down after about 30 minutes. I made this a very leisurely stroll back down, taking quite a few photos and speaking to one or two of the steady stream of walkers I passed on their way up before arriving back at the car park about 3.5hrs after setting off.

Back onto the track downwards

I didn’t have to wait long before the wife arrived back from visiting the coffee shops of Crieff with a tasty sausage roll and ice cold lemon drink for me. OK this may not be the most inspiring of Munro’s but with weather like this they all have great views! Next week its Knoydart so fingers crossed for the nice weather to continue.
howzat

Munros:254   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: 'Great' Friday on Ben Chonzie

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:41 am

A fine walk in good conditions with superb views from the summit, all in all a good day out , bring on Knoydart, I'm there the week after you, which one of us is going to be lucky?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mr_ash_37 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 am

Nice report and helpful as I am due to do this soon. Cheers and well done
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Can't blame you for wanting a stop off, what glorious weather we had at the weekend. I am hoping finally get to Ben Chonzie in the next month or two as it isn't far from me but had been putting it off due to the snow. What a great day you had for it, super views.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland