walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

MERRICK

MERRICK

Postby peterd » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick

Donalds included on this walk: Merrick

Date walked: 20/04/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.25 km

Ascent: 875m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

not that keen on walking down in galloway but went to the merrick with the club, and enjoyed the walk ,pretty straight forward up and down great weather blue skies ,bit cold and windy on the top still some snow on side of hill 5hrs of easy walking and site seeing, still prefer to do my trips west and north. sorry no pics.
peterd
Munro compleatist

Munros:36   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   

Re: MERRICK

Postby Mister S » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 am

HI There saw the post thread title and thought I'd add some notes and video I made of our ascent up The Merrick on February 15th this year. Although I should say straight away that we never made it that far !!!!!

As you'll see from the video the conditions meant we only got as far up as the summit of Benyellary. You can see me pointing my finger at the top of the Merrick in the distance but the thing to note is how deep the snow was and how windy it got...it just wasnt safe nor easy. The snow had drifted to a couple of feet on either side of the drystane dyke that is the start of the 'path' from Benyellary to the Merrick summit.

The reason for posting up is just to illustrate how different the conditions can be up that height. There was no snow on the ground lower down that day you can clearly see the snow line as we ascend. I'm sure the more experienced of you will know that fine well but it illustrates to anyone wondering what it MAY be like up there in February even when no snow and mild conditions at lower levels.

We were a bit dissapointed to have to turn back but knew it was the right decision and I have to say, that disappointment aside it was a terrific walk and the views from Benyellary were awesome as hopefully you can pick up from the video.

Music by Scottish Band Teenage Fanclub ! :D

Mister S

Munros:2   Corbetts:9
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland