walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easter Munro Day

Easter Munro Day

Postby Jabber » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 21/04/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 924m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was on my very first visit North of Inverness and the intention was to try and get Orkney & the whole North coast cracked in three days. Had the family booked too and got them to believe me that I had the weather booked as well!
Now Orkney was fascinating and the history fantastic however my excitement could hardly be contained when I clamped my eyes on these two.ImageImage
As the day was quite late I decided to push on to where we were staying for the night in Durness at Smoo Cave and the hotel by the same name appropriately. Smoo Cave was a cracking visit too!Image
The views above of the coast line were even better especially as the sun was setting.Image
Anyway on to the walk. I was up and running at 4-30 as it was still an hours drive from Durness to the start point. The wildlife that was running around that time of day was awesome enroute and I had to be very careful driving there.
Well there was no denying where the start point was.Image
Now one thing I don't enjoy when starting off up these hills is steep starts as I have my first hour where I like to warm up and this fella definitely denies this! So I took it easy with plenty of breathers on the way up. The path was very good and easily identified all the way to the peak.Image What made this a cracking day for me was the inversion that was threatening to happen and I was observing the whispy white stuff creep along Strathmore towards Loch Hope the higher I got. The snag with being quite steep was I was now counting my height gain and wishing the trig point & cairn to appear all too soon! But oh it still seemed miles off!Image
Now one thing that always makes me smile on the hills are these felllas. I never seem to fail to see one !Image Added to this the views were beginning to become stunning!Image
Finally this appeared and what shocked me was I was only 2 hours into the walk however it rammed home how steep this climb up the south ridge is.Image
Quick Breakfast at the top and here's my shots from the peak.ImageImage
I descended the same way and managed to avoid any souls all the way down. A fantastic short day and the beauty of this is that I was done and dusted by 10am and sorely wished I had done my homework and gone for Ben Klibreck as well. Here's a shot from the roadside of a really good walk and a cracker from the most Northerly Munro!Image
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Easter Munro Day

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Nice report & some good photo's reminds me of what a unique hill it is :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby mr_ash_37 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Stunning, grt report. Cheers for sharing
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:54 am

Yup - it's a nice walk and great on days like this to get the views - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jabber » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Can't wait to get back up there. Taking my tent next time the whole area is superb.
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland