walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Who Daers wins

Who Daers wins

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law, Queensberry

Donalds included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law, Earncraig Hill, Gana Hill, Queensberry, Scaw'd Law, Wedder Law

Date walked: 15/04/2014

Time taken: 6.3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started the walk from Kirkhope at the at the end of the road along Daer Reservoir. I followed the track to Daerhead before making my way up Whitehope hill ridge to Earncraig Hill. From here i headed south before up the ridge to Queensberry and then returned towards Burleywhag and up to Gana Hill. A track lead from Gana Hill but i left it to follow the fenceline to Wedder Law, with the summit just off the track and no cairn to mark the summit. I then returned to the track, till i came to a fainter track which lead to Scaw'd Law and a stone wall, again no sign of any summit cairn. It was now an easy ridge walk to the final hill of the day, Balencleuch Law, which had some fence posts as its summit cairn. I returned to Kirkhope via the Carsehope Burn.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Daer 002.JPG

Daer 003.JPG

Daer 004.JPG

Daer 005.JPG

Daer 006.JPG

Daer 007.JPG

Daer 008.JPG

Daer 010.JPG

Daer 011.JPG

Daer 012.JPG

Daer 015.JPG

Daer 016.JPG

Daer 017.JPG

Daer 018.JPG

Daer 019.JPG

Daer 021.JPG

Daer 023.JPG

Daer 025.JPG

Daer 028.JPG

Daer 032.JPG

Daer 033.JPG
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Who Daers wins

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Nice one JC! You picked a few up there for what looked like little effort on a good looking weather day.glad to see you have got your report format re photographs back to norm :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gmr82 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi JC, glad you finally got round to this walk. Just over a year since I also walked the Daer Donalds, though I'm very jealous of the weather you had, and by the sounds of things, decent enough underfoot conditions!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:44 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Nice one JC! You picked a few up there for what looked like little effort on a good looking weather day.glad to see you have got your report format re photographs back to norm :D
Thanks Rod, yeah pretty easy walking for 6 balloons. :wink:
gmr82 wrote:Hi JC, glad you finally got round to this walk. Just over a year since I also walked the Daer Donalds, though I'm very jealous of the weather you had, and by the sounds of things, decent enough underfoot conditions!
Cheers, conditions were perfect. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland