walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Me - 0, Weather Gods - 2

Me - 0, Weather Gods - 2

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 29/04/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am dedicating this walk to my late wife Jean who passed away in 1997, aged only 43, today would have been our 37th wedding anniversary and it was her fault that I got the hillwalking bug :lol:

Being retired enables one to study the weather forecasts in minute detail & when the weather is forecast to be favourable let the planning commence, that is the theory :lol:
That was the cunning plan, which backfired big style - more of that later. Left Fife at 6.30am patchy mist and fog, as usual plenty of motorists with NO lights on :shock: Then of course we have the other extreme, vehicles with every light available on :lol:
So we arrived at the fairly spacious FREE car park near Victoria Bridge at about 8.30, low cloud and dampness filled the air :(

DSCF3851.JPG
The car park, not very busy

I have to say the Walk Highlands description of the walk was outstanding, no requirement for a map, even though I had one, just needed my compass in the mist/low cloud :(
The initial part of the walk shares the road with the West Highland Way. I won't describe the route as I wouldn't be able to better the route available to us all.

DSCF3855.JPG
The path looking back to the 'tin hut'

DSCF3856.JPG
The path looking ahead, low cloud dominating the horizon

The path along the glen to Coire Toaig is fine with a very gentle incline, however once you turn right the climb then begins, still not too steep.
Unfortunately my plan of picking a decent weather day backfired big time, the cloud base was about 2000' with a very fine drizzle - NOT FORECAST :(
I reached the summit which had absolutely no view whatsoever, which was a shame as apparently great views of Rannoch Moor and beyond are usually on offer :(

DSCF3866.JPG
The view - or lack of it

Because of the not so good conditions I came up with plan B, I would head down to the bealach assess the conditions and if things weren't improving take an escape route back to the car :crazy:
So it was out with the compass. The summit was covered in scree and loose rocks and the path was there one minute and gone the next, I was descending but because of the lack of visibility wasn't overly confident I was anywhere near a path. That turned out to be the case, as I reached the south westerly cliffs/rocks of Stob a'Choire Odhair I reached the bottom of the cloudbase & could see that I was almost midway between the path up to the summit & the path down to the bealach. So let the traversing begin :lol:

DSCF3874.JPG
The way down to the bealach

DSCF3872.JPG
My first limited view of Stob Ghabhar

DSCF3882.JPG
First glimpse of Rannoch Moor

DSCF3893.JPG
Snow melt stream

DSCF3896.JPG
First snow obstacle, easy crossing

As I was about midway across the bealach I was aware of the warnings about how steep and tricky the route is up towards Aonach Eagach, so I was constantly looking ahead with dread, especially as there was alot of white stuff :lol:

DSCF3900.JPG
Looking back towards SaCO, still not seen the summit

As I reached the end of the bealach the next problem was directly in front of me, the steep loose scree was snow covered, I could see foot prints & my plan was to follow them :wink:

DSCF3903.JPG
This was going to be challenging as it was very steep and I couldn't see the end of the snow. Unfortunately the photo doesn't show how steep.

DSCF3907.JPG
Looking down the glen, during a break for a breather.

DSCF3912.JPG
The next phase of the ascent

DSCF3913.JPG
Hopefully this shows how steep the snow climb was

DSCF3914.JPG
Coirein Lochain in meltdown

After what seemed like an age & plenty of hard work I reached the top of the snow ridge :lol: I was horrified to see once I crawled over the top that it was actually a cornice, that part of the walk is probably the hardest & scariest bit of climbing I have ever undertaken :roll: I was just so relieved to get my feet on normal ground :lol:

The next part of the walk to the summit seemed to be never ending and it wasn't fair to punish me after the struggle up the snow slope :( The other bad news was the lack of visibility.

DSCF3917.JPG
The ridge to the summit of SG

And finally the summit of Stob Ghabhar, once again apparently the views are allegedly superb :( Was impressed with the shelter :wink:

DSCF3926.JPG
Summit shelter, no wind, so I had no reason to test it out

DSCF3934.JPG
Finally at last the summit of SaCO

DSCF3936.JPG
The way down

The descent down the ridge was easy enough only one steepish bit which happened to be beside the water cascade :lol:

DSCF3946.JPG
Water cascade

Arrived back at the car after the long walk out, with mixed emotions. Pleased that I had persevered & not abandoned at the bealach and mastered the snow climb, but really disappointed that the weather forecast had really let me down. I would love to do this walk again & get the views.
Better luck next time :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Me - 0, Weather Gods - 2

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Good for you persevering up that steep snow with the cornice at the top (aaaargh). Your photo does show the incline :shock:

Sorry about the loss of your wife at such a young age and I'm sure she was 'with' you on some level getting through that cornice. Great walk to remember her by.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:11 pm

Some you win........ :?

Very sorry to hear you lost your wife at such a young age Martin, but this seems a very fitting way to remember her and celebrate your anniversary, even if the weather gods didn't play fair. :roll: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Silverhill » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Ah what a shame you didn’t get the views and well done for persevering!
I remember that climb up to the wee Aonach Eagach, very steep and the scree! I wonder whether the snow helped?
Good thing about these hills is that the walk-in is not too long, so all the more reason for you to haste ye back, because on a good day the views are stunning. :D
Lovely way to remember your wife.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Nice day out there FF and I'm sure your good lady was keeping an eye on you in the clouds...
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:02 am

Crackin’ report as ever Martin. :clap: We’ve all been there, when MWIS seems to be playing silly buggers with the forecast! :roll: Good on ya for persevering. And Wow! That DOES look a steep incline! :shock:

Lovely way to remember your wife too.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:37 am

Good on you Martin for getting that done :clap: :clap: your wife would have been very proud of you, well done :D great shame you did not get the views you thoroughly deserved for your perseverance . :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks to all for the very kind comments, much appreciated :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Wow, great job Martin. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Such a lovely tribute, i'm sure she was with you all the way.
Your photos really, really, really show how steep that section was and also how hard you must have worked to overcome a fear of heights.
I hope in the following years the weather gods are more favourable!
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland