walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Always Sunny on Suilven

Always Sunny on Suilven

Postby GueVargas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Route description: Suilven

Fionas included on this walk: Suilven

Date walked: 20/04/2014

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bagging Suilven was quite an excursion. Total round trip was a little over 14 miles. Most of the way is on a decent path till you get to the small cairn that signifies leaving the path to get to the base of Suilven. The going after the cairn was boggy...I can only imagine how bad it would be after a couple of days of rain. The path up to the bealach was steep and eroded but once you gain the ridge, the views are magnificent. The walk up to Caisteal Liath involves some minor scrambling but it's pretty straight forward. Once at the summit cairn I can't begin to explain how awesome the views are. I spent almost two hours up there basking in the sun. It was a most excellent time. I left Caisteal Liath and made my way towards Meall Meadhonach. There is a good path that leads right to some rocky ledges that have to be negotiated to gain the summit. Again these are pretty straight forward with plenty of hand and footholds. I thought about continuing on to Meall Beag but the path down to the notch was pretty steep. The scrambling up to Meall Beag looked a bit to extreme for me. I was content with what I had acomplished for the day and made my way back to the car park. For not being a munro, Suilven didn't disappoint. It was one of the best and most rewarding days out. Fantastic mountain in a most excellent area of Scotland. Here's a video and a couple of pics. Hope everyone is doing well.

Canisp and Suilven from from the start

The sun was out in full force by 0900

Heading up to the summit from the bealach

Canisp and Meall Meadhonach

Summit Cairn Caisteal Liath

Cul Mor, Bod a' Mhadail, and on the top of my nugget Stac Pollaidh

You can see the path up to the rocky ledges on Meall Meadhonach

A couple of people coming down from the top of MM

Caisteal Liath

GueVargas
Munro compleatist

Re: Always Sunny on Suilven

Postby Avocetboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Love the video. Was that the approach from glencanisp lodge. Planning to do this in June, but will approach from inverkirkaig
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby inca » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Looks like a cracking day on a fine mountain. I really enjoyed the video too :clap: Just as an aside, who's the music by? Seem to remember it from somewhere.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Just stunning, loved the video too. 8)
I have only walked past Suilven (when going up to the summit of hills wasn’t my thing yet), but it definitely tickled my fancy then!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Premlal » Thu May 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Looks like a very nice day out! Any more pics of the scrambly bits toward Meall Meadhonach? Video is ace too (loved the music).
Premlal
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby litljortindan » Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Great video and pictures. Looks like you got the perfect day there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby bairdo boy » Thu May 01, 2014 11:15 pm

great walk, pics and vid. luvd it
bairdo boy
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Postby Micky Woo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 am

My goodness, that video is astonishing, especially the music.

It is just feels so appropriate as it brings back the memories of my long ago walk (way back in the 90s).

The music builds so beautifully and when the crescendo came as the ridge view opened I literally had tears in my eyes. Finished withe the peace and serenity of the summit.

Top, top work. Simply outstanding. Thank you. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Micky Woo
Mountaineer

Postby Chafed » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:45 am

Fantastic video! What an amazing view from the top.

You had an amazing day for it, I've been up but missed it all as had 5m visibility from the moment we started gaining elevation up her side! :(
Chafed
Scrambler

Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby jeg569 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks for posting the photos and the video, heading up in May 2019, video was helpful.
jeg569
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland