walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Goatfell ...again

Goatfell ...again

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 21/04/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 18.3 km

Ascent: 1015m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I headed to Arran again attempting this time to climb Cir Mhor. On previous visits to the goatfell range i`ve wondered at this mountain. It`s jaggy form drawing all the attention as it sits in the centre of the four corbetts on the island. As it was , i ended up bottling out of it when i reached the saddle and climbed Goatfell instead. I walked into Glen Rosa from the harbour and things weren`t looking great at first, a low cloud hung over Arran all the way across on the boat and was still there on my arrival. Things were beginning to look up as once into the glen the clouds started to disperse. As always when in Arran , i`m on the look out for Golden Eagles. I had 3 possible sightings on the way, but they were too high too see if they were buzzards or not.
DSC_0348wh.jpg
Beinn a'Chliabhain

It was starting to heat up if still a bit cloudy.
DSC_0353wh.jpg
Blue Pool

I stopped by the Blue Pool and could see the end of the Glen including Cir Mhor was still shrouded in cloud.
The further i walked on , the more it would disappear.
DSC_0363wh.jpg
Cir Mhor

My camera on my phone stopped working for a while and i missed great photo opportunities as i passed Beinn Tarsuinn, with cosolation tor glimmering in the sun, but got it working in time to catch some deer who had been tormenting me , showing off because i didn`t have a camera :lol:
DSC_0369wh.jpg
Deer

I had intended to veer off the path to the left and go over Cir mhor from that side and over and down to the saddle that way. But it had taken me 2 1/2 hours to get to this point and the way the ferries were timed i hoped to get back to the harbour for the 4.40 boat back. So i carried on up the path towards the saddle instead.
DSC_0370wh.jpg
Glen Rosa
Once onto the saddle the wind hit me. And as i looked up at the route up Cir Mhor, i thought , feck that ! It looked like a narrow gulley up, quite doable, but the wind was getting strong and i knew the summit was going to be very narrow and exposed and as i was on my own i decided to leave it for another day. It was decision time , either go back the way i came or head up Goatfell, which looked great if a bit atmospheric .
DSC_0373wh.jpg
Goatfell

You could tell right away this is a very popular route, the path is eroded much of the way, but you can see there`s a lot of work going on trying to save it. it`s not long before you`re scrambling over rocks, as the path twists around the huge granite blocks on the way up. I looked back at Cir Mhor and Casteal Abhail from here.
DSC_0394wh.jpg
Cir mhor and Casteal Abhail

And further up, the cloud was clearing off.
DSC_0379a.jpg
looking up goatfell

i was really enjoying this and i came to a section which involves a lot of scrambling in and out of the rocks and as i tried to pick out a way up i saw two female climbers and followed them up. I soon caught up with them, to find that they were a couple of young, french(?) tourists. They asked me for advice down to sannox, and as i wasn`t quite sure of a quick way down i suggested that they follow me to the summit , and head to corrie from there back to sannox. I did tell them i was in a bit of a rush and just to follow the path up.
DSC_0400wh.jpg
still a bit to go

I said my goodbyes and followed the path up, opting to climb up some of the many pinnacles but after being hit by a gust of wind i realised i wasn`t bear grylls, only wearing his jumper ! Once up here though i could see a clear safe path back down to glen sannox and hoped the girls would see this and not follow me. I kept looking back for them, eventually seeing them go down that path once i had left the summit . I was relieved.
I had the summit to myself. It was still windy but the sky was much clearer and i regretted having to go home.
DSC_0404wh.jpg

DSC_0418wh.jpg

DSC_0416wh.jpg
brodick bay

I left the summit about 3.10 and if i was to catch the boat i`d need to run ! I picked my way down carefully but quickly until i could run on safer sections, doing this most of the way down. But it was getting warmer and the sky was now clear blue with the sun beaming down on my face. I do pick the times, i thought.
DSC_0425wh.jpg
last look back

I kept pounding down . I did think i was mad , but i didn`t want to wait for the last boat. i got to the road outside the castle about ten past four, my feet were throbbing as i stuck out my thumb for a lift. Luckily a car stopped quickly, and very kindly picked me up. He also told me that the ferry was running about 40 mins late ! :roll:
DSC_0426wh.jpg
Goatfell
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Goatfell ...again

Postby Mountainlove » Thu May 01, 2014 9:07 am

Oh you can never climb Goatfell enough :lol: I think I was up there 20 x or so in the past 18 years :roll:
I had to laugh about the rush back to the ferry...1h is good going, you must have been running! Sounded rather familiar. The weather is always typical, you start in clouds just to say good bye in glorious sunshine...and those Corbetts will still be there the next time...I have yet to climb them as well.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby litljortindan » Thu May 01, 2014 9:00 pm

A good adventure. Kind of wanted to go to Goatfell too when I was on Arran (two days before you) but I too elected for a more limited visit. A wonderful place though and friendly folk.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Oh you can never climb Goatfell enough :lol: I think I was up there 20 x or so in the past 18 years :roll:
I had to laugh about the rush back to the ferry...1h is good going, you must have been running! Sounded rather familiar. The weather is always typical, you start in clouds just to say good bye in glorious sunshine...and those Corbetts will still be there the next time...I have yet to climb them as well.

lol, wasn`t funny at the time, i`ve done all the other ones apart from cir mhor, but like you say they`re not going away, planning weekend camp with my mate this summer hopefully to do them all

litljortindan wrote:A good adventure. Kind of wanted to go to Goatfell too when I was on Arran (two days before you) but I too elected for a more limited visit. A wonderful place though and friendly folk.

aye, i had a great day, it is a great place, don`t think people realise what the mountains are like out there, and of course the locals are great too :D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Silverhill » Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 pm

Another one for my Corbett to-do-list! Fab pictures and looks like great walk. Well done! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland