walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Surprise Flock in Glen Tilt

Surprise Flock in Glen Tilt

Postby LongRanger » Sun May 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Route description: Carn a'Chlamain

Munros included on this walk: Carn a'Chlamain

Date walked: 02/05/2014

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1020m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my walk for day 2 of my first trip of the season using a mountain bike for a large part of the approach. I'd had a long hard day on Beinn Dearg on Thursday and wasn't sure I was ready for a second day. However nothing daunted and with every mountain walker's best mate, Mr Will Power, along for company I set off up the lovely Glen Tilt. The cycle ride was fine and I think the cycling action took the stiffness and tiredness out of my legs.

I set off up Carn a' Chlamain from the farm house about a kilometer past Gaw's bridge. The sloping track made easy going and soon I reached the corner where the direct track from Gaw's Bridge joins.

About a mile further on I met a fellow walker on his way down and he was kind enough to point out the short cut route marked by two cairns (he'd read about it on walkhighlands!). Thanks to this top tip I now had a direct route to the col below the summit ridge of Carn a' Chlamain.http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=9#

Pausing half way up this track I turned round to admire the view back down Glen Tilt and spotted an odd large wing shape above Carn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlo); an eagle thinks I! Nope too downward curved and no wing beat most odd. A paraglider; could be? surely not!

Well as I struggled to resolve the shape another four appeared above the summit of Carn Laith; definately paragliders.

I watched for a few more minutes while around 5 more joined them. They continued to float and circle the summit, well I have a mountain to climb; a Munro to bag; so I turned and left them to there games and headed towards my target.

Longranger-Para_1.jpg

As I reached the foot of the final slope I turned and was amazed to find the sky full of paragliders. I counted around forty though there may have been more as some were tricky to pick out against the grey of the clouds.

Longranger-Para_2.jpg

By the time I reached the top of Carn a' Chlamain they were swooping and circling all around and I was treated to a fine display as I sat eating my lunchtime sandwich.

Longranger-Para_3.jpg

Many thanks to the Paragliders for the lunchtime treat and here's hoping you all landed safely.

Anyone on Walkhighlands know if this was some sort of club event as I tried looking on the net and couldn't find any reference.
LongRanger
Mountaineer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Surprise Flock in Glen Tilt

Postby LongRanger » Thu May 08, 2014 11:25 pm

Found out they were taking part in a national long distance XC event. Fantastic display guys☺
LongRanger
Mountaineer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Surprise Flock in Glen Tilt

Postby newbs52 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:47 am

Glad you found the shortcut. That tip came from a report by captainslow so thanks to him for that. Shame I missed the aerial display!
newbs52
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:9
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland