walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Good Friday in Glen Affric

Good Friday in Glen Affric

Postby dogplodder » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Route description: River Affric and Am Meallan, Glen Affric

Date walked: 18/04/2014

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good Friday in Glen Affric was a recce for a larger group who were planning to come on Easter Monday. We wanted to walk out the route, with the different ages and mobility of folk in mind, and see where would be good for hiding and rolling eggs! I'd chosen this location partly for its scenery (we had internationals in the group) but also for its toilets, picnic tables and well maintained paths (we had young children as well as older folk coming).

Advance party consisted of Jane, her two children (8 and 6) and me. First observation was that by the time we'd driven the 10 mile twisty single track road and arrived at the car park the 6 year old in the back seat was ashen faced. The poor guy didn't complain but he looked like he was ready to throw up. :( Once out of the car he quickly recovered but it put a second doubt in our minds about the wisdom of bringing the group here. The first doubt was the forecast which for Easter Monday was nothing like the one for Good Friday and it would be a shame not to see this glen at its best - which it was today! :D

Car park - normally a charge but today was free with charge only kicking in on Monday! :D
DSC_1092-large.JPG

Start of the river walk - kids lead the way
DSC_1093-large.JPG

We followed the blue, River Affric route, which is well sign-posted and leads down to the river with views of Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin.

Old Scots Pine and Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin
DSC_1094-large.JPG

DSC_1095-large.JPG

To begin with the path was buggy friendly but it became less so and babies/toddlers would be more easily carried on backs than on wheels.

DSC_1098-large.JPG

River Affric flowing sedately into loch
DSC_1099-large.JPG

Sgurr na Lapaich through the trees
DSC_1101-large.JPG

DSC_1102-large.JPG

Jane had been in at her work for a couple of hours before we left and it was a long time since she'd eaten. So we looked for a good place to sit by the river and found the perfect spot. :D

About to bring out the sandwiches
DSC_1103-large.JPG

Looking up river from lunch spot
DSC_1104-large.JPG

Good path continues
DSC_1106-large.JPG

Steps have been built to ease the route over rocks
DSC_1108-large.JPG

River less sedate here
DSC_1112-large.JPG

DSC_1113-large.JPG

The path then turns right and climbs uphill away from the river, soon reaching a bench with a fine view of Sgurr na Lapaich, the snow clad peak which drew my attention through the trees for the last part of the walk.

Sgurr na Lapaich
DSC_1088-large.JPG

Bridge over River Affric
DSC_1114-large.JPG

River from bridge
DSC_1117-large.JPG

The second leg of our excursion was to climb to the viewpoint Am Meallan, waymarked in white. Here I have to give credit to SusieThePensioner whose heroic walk up this steep path with severe arthritis deserves a medal. :clap: It was Susie's photos that made me want to go up there so thank you Susie!

At the top of the path there's a seat and a memorial to commemorate all the foresters who worked on the restoration of the forest. As a Chisholm on my mother's side I also like to think of the generations of Chisholms who lived and worked in this glen before the brutal clearances to make way for sheep which were largely responsible for the destruction of the trees now being restored.

Kids exploring top of Am Meallan
DSC_1121-large.JPG

Surveying the scene (Jane's photo)
10277489_624997704261667_6619118934649787027_n-large.jpg

Loch Affric from Am Meallan
DSC_1122-large.JPG

Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin from Am Meallan
DSC_1130-large.JPG

We were so fortunate to see the glen on such a stunning day and can thoroughly recommend both the routes. But for various reasons we didn't bring the crowd back on Easter Monday. The forecast wasn't going to justify the long drive, it wouldn't be easy to organise an Easter egg hunt or egg-rolling competition and toasting marshmallows on a fire would be outright illegal!

So the kids hadn't had their practice egg rolling until on the drive home their eagle eyed mother spotted a grassy slope in front of a church near the power station by Cannich. So the kids got to roll their eggs after all!

Perfect for rolling eggs
DSC_1132-large.JPG
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon May 05, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Good Friday in Glen Affric

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 pm

That looks like a fantastic walk with wonderful scenery (on such a good day anyway). All your pictures are great but I particularly like the last one of the church and sheep.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 06, 2014 9:59 am

Glen Affric was busy this Easter :D and no wonder. I have lots of sentiment for this corner of Scotland... Funny, I never actually climbed to the viewpoint, always went straight for the loch circuit :lol:

So the carpark charges are "on"? Luckily, we managed three visits to GA this year in early season before they started charging :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue May 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Some fantastic photos, Kathleen :thumbup:
Its such a wonderful place to visit, especially when the weather is good.
dogplodder wrote:The second leg of our excursion was to climb to the viewpoint Am Meallan, waymarked in white. Here I have to give credit to SusieThePensioner whose heroic walk up this steep path with severe arthritis deserves a medal. It was Susie's photos that made me want to go up there so thank you Susie!

Thank you and glad you got those beautiful views :D

There were no parking charges when we visited at the beginning of October last year :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 07, 2014 12:31 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:That looks like a fantastic walk with wonderful scenery (on such a good day anyway). All your pictures are great but I particularly like the last one of the church and sheep.

Thanks Annie. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 07, 2014 12:34 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Glen Affric was busy this Easter :D and no wonder. I have lots of sentiment for this corner of Scotland... Funny, I never actually climbed to the viewpoint, always went straight for the loch circuit :lol:

So the carpark charges are "on"? Luckily, we managed three visits to GA this year in early season before they started charging :wink:

We fully expected to be paying on Easter Friday but the sign said charging wouldn't start until Easter Monday - so our timing was perfect! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 08, 2014 7:36 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Some fantastic photos, Kathleen :thumbup:

From you, Susie, that's a real compliment! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Silverhill » Mon May 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Wow, just stunning! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Sarah86 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

It looks a wonderful walk, I must go there some day. The view from Am Meallan is stunning.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland