walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rhiconich to Blairmore

Rhiconich to Blairmore

Postby Alba Bhoy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Route description: Rhiconich to Sandwood Bay

Date walked: 24/04/2014

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 14 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday 24th April 2014 - Rhiconich to Blairmore. Dep Rhiconich 1020, arrive at the Sandwood Bay Car Park at Blairmore at 1245. Distance 8 miles, time taken 2 hours 25 minutes. OS Landranger map 9.
Drove up from Ullapool and parked up in the Rhiconich hotel car park from where I followed the road to Kinlochbervie and onto Blairmore. After the rigours of the two previous days, this was a simple stroll.
Even though I was walking along the tarmac, in what compared to the previous two days was a relatively built up area, I found this walk quite relaxing. No hurry today, just reach Blairmore and enjoy the views over Loch Inchard en route.
1 View over Loch Inchard towards Kinlochbervie.jpg
View over Loch Inchard, from Rhiconich, towards Kinlochbervie

How can you not like a walk that passes through somewhere called, 'Badcall Inchard?' What a cool name for a village!
4 Cool name for a village.jpg
Cool name

Popped into the London Stores at 1105 - is this the furthest shop from London on mainland Britain? - and was impressed at how much stuff he had squeezed into such a small space.
5 London stores.jpg
London stores

Some nice views from The London Stores looking back to Arkle and Foinavon.
6 View back from London Stores.jpg
View to Arkle (right) and Foinavon (left) from the London Stores

By 1130 I'd arrived at the Kinlochbervie War Memorial. There's a fascinating memorial to local man, Robert McBeath, beside the war memorial. McBeath won the VC in the First World War, returned home to Kinlochbervie, married his sweetheart, then emigrated to Canada, joining the Canadian police in Vancouver before being murdered while on duty in 1922. His memorial is well worth a read.
Just beyond Kinlochbervie Harbour the road splits. Follow the road signposted to Oldshoremore that runs up the hill to the right.
12 Follow that sign almost as far as Balchrick.jpg
Follow that sign almost as far as Balchrick

As you perambulate along this road, you'll soon pass the Kinlochbervie Hotel and on your right Loch Innis na Ba Buidhe will come into view.
13 Kinlochbervie Hotel.jpg
Kinlochbervie Hotel

Beyond the hotel the the bright lights of Kinlochbervie are quickly left behind and the landscape, once again, becomes increasingly rural. I reached Oldshoremore at 1210 from where I enjoyed the pleasant view down to its beach and out over the Atlantic.
15 View down to the beach at Oldshoremore.jpg
View of the beach at Oldshoremore

Passing through Oldshoremore I also enjoyed fine views back to Arkle and Foinavon.
16 Another view back to Arkle (right) and Foinavon (left) 24th April 2014.jpg
Arkle (right) and Foinavon (left) from Oldshoremore

Staying on the main road, I passed through Oldshoremore and reached the car park at Blairmore at 1245. This is the car park used by those who park up before walking across to Sandwood Bay.
17 Sign points in the direction of the path to Sandwood Bay.jpg
Sandwood Bay, this way.

Exchanged pleasantries with a couple in the car park. They were returning home to Forfar after 4 days camping at Sandwood Bay and kindly offered to give me a lift back to Rhiconich and my car. If you're reading this folks, then thanks again, your offer was greatly appreciated.
So, that's Kirk Yetholm to Rhiconich completed; just one more stage, Blairmore to Cape Wrath to go. The end is in sight. Just need a weather window, boss to grant my leave request and to know the military are not using Cape Wrath for military purposes and I'll be heading North ready to complete my version of the Scottish National Trail. Bring it on :)
Alba Bhoy
Mountaineer

Munros:207   
Islands:31

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland