walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart loop from Inverie

Knoydart loop from Inverie

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Route description: Luinne Bheinn and Meall Bhuidhe, Inverie, Knoydart

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn, Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Date walked: 03/05/2014

Time taken: 15 hours

Distance: 33 km

Ascent: 2550m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: Meall Buidhe [Knoydart], Luinne Bheinn, Ladhar Bheinn
Date: Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 May 2014
Time taken: 15hrs (incl just over 4hrs stops) approx
Distance: 33km approx
Ascent: 2,550m approx
Attendees: me

Forecast for the holiday weekend was looking fairly good earlier in the week but couldn’t get the Friday off even though it looked even better. Reserved a place on the Knoydart Seabridge Ferry for the first service on the Saturday at 1030hrs (though with the possibility they may put on an earlier service if needed). Also reserved a return trip from Inverie on the Sunday at 1700hrs (with an option for 1400hrs depending on how I got on).

Got a phone call on the Friday morning to say that there would be an 0815hrs service so jumped at the chance especially as the Saturday afternoon forecast had gone downhill a bit. A bit too much to do that evening meant only a few hours sleep before an early start for Mallaig.

Nice drive up – long time since I’ve been this far west of Fort William

Arriving at Mallaig, the long stay car park on the left was full – probably due to the early CalMac sailing. Drove round to east bay and parked in one of the long stay spaces (not the first batch which are shorter stay). Wandered round to the harbour and spoke with a couple who were the other passengers on the same trip.

Ferry from Mallaig to Inverie

Not long before leaving the harbour behind

The view as we headed in towards loch Nevis

Passed Rubha Raonuill with the statue of the Madonna which was erected by the Catholic community marking the entrance to Loch Nevis.

Approaching Inverie with Sgurr Coire Choinnichean above

After landing, got my stuff sorted out then walked through the village

Walked past the plaque erected in March 2009 which commemorates the tenth anniversary of the Knoydart buyout. Then past the memorial to the Seven Men of Knoydart who attempted unsuccessfully to claim land and crofts from Lord Brocket on Knoydart not long after the second world war.

Further round looking back to the bay

Walked on and caught up with the three walkers who all worked for the same business in Edinburgh – for one of them this was his first hill walk – they were staying in the bunkhouse and were planning to walk Meall Buidhe. We continued together up Gleann Meadail and met another two walkers who were aiming for a corbett.

Past the monument to Lord Brocket who bought the Knoydart estate in the 1930’s and was a personal guest at Hitler’s 50th birthday in 1939.

The three had originally considered walking up the glen to the bealach then up to Meall Buidhe but changed their minds and opted to approach the more direct route which I was planning.

Left the track and headed fairly steeply upwards with views back to the bay

The bracken was only just starting to grow so the going was quite good – could imagine it being a lot harder in high summer. The three stopped a few times and were soon quite far behind. Unfortunately I couldn’t wait for them as I had a bit farther to go so pressed on.

Along the ridge then a drop down before the ascent to the summit

Luinne Bheinn looked rather a long way off

Met three other walkers at the summit – think they said that they had set off about 0700hrs from the bunkhouse. One was going back as he wasn’t feeling too fit and the other two set off just as I arrived.

Ladhar Bheinn

Beinn Sgritheall

Sgurr na Ciche

Had some food then set off towards Luinne Bheinn

A fair few ups and downs on the way and a bit rough at times – guess that’s why they’re called the rough bounds. Clear views of where I was headed through.

Looking back to Meall Buidhe

Final approach to the summit

Met two walkers at the summit who were up for some photography. Also met a lady walker who had camped high on Ladhar Bheinn the previous night ( with better weather than I was about to experience).

Towards Barrisdale Bay

Meall Buidhe

Towards Inverie Bay

Ladhar Bheinn

Self portrait

After some food, headed off NW down towards Mam Barrisdale. Was starting to run out of water at this point but unlikely to be any until much further down. Got to Mam Barrisdale with the weather starting to turn. Had originally thought about camping up at the 849m point, leaving the rucksack, walking up to Ladhar Bheinn then returning to Inverie via Sgurr Coire Choinnichean. However, this would require good weather and a lot more walking that evening which was not looking feasible.
Had to find some water and the first burn marked on the map turned out to be dry. Kept going NW and the next burn had a plenty water. Followed it uphill until it started to disappear when I stopped to replenish my supplies. After an extended stop I set off again laden down with about 4kg of water to cover dinner, breakfast and the next day’s walk.

Was past the 640m point to the right high up on Coire a’ Phuill when the rain started. Just at that point a large group appeared on the way down – they were finishing off the circuit of Ladhar Bheinn and were staying at the White House. I could see the next bit was steep before reaching the traverse path and, with the rain starting, decided to stop for the night even though it wasn’t much after 1730hrs.

Rain and wind most of the night. Woke up early, looked out to see clag and rain and went back to sleep. Eventually had breakfast and got everything packed up inside the tent. A lull in the rain and I quickly got out and packed up the tent.

No more photos until reaching the top. The rain returned as I set off a little after 0700hrs. The first part was a bit scrambly require hands and the occasional knee before getting to the traverse path up to the 849m point. A few more scrambly up and down bits on the way to the top but couldn’t see anything in the clag and rain. Think the camping pack and the rain made these bits harder than usual.

Cairn before getting to the summit

Summit with shattered trig point

Didn’t hang around long as the clag and rain didn’t look like clearing. On the way down, met two walkers on their way up – think they said they’d been on Rum the previous week and that it had been very warm.

Down to Gleann na Guiserain and the run by the Allt

Then the long walk back to Inverie in the rain. Arrived before 1300hrs – phoned from the shop to check I could get the earlier ferry back and had a chat with the lady in the shop. Met up with my fellow passengers at the harbour for the return trip. Turned out that the 1700hrs sailing was fully booked with some not being able to get a space so I’d be freeing up one space.

Then the drive back to Glasgow in plenty time for dinner. First trip to Knoydart, really do want to return.

Knoydart 3-4may2014 activelog track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Grahams:58   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Knoydart loop from Inverie

Postby Collaciotach » Wed May 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Cnoideart ..a cracking area ,good coast walks also.

Good report and aye we got blown about a wee bit on Saturday night as well ,shame weather did nt stay Labhar Bheinn is a bonnie hill
Collaciotach
Hill Bagger

Munros:282   Corbetts:97
Grahams:27   
Sub 2000:20   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 08, 2014 7:41 am

Great effort with big pack and all :clap: :clap: Some fabulous photographs and great report. That ridge between MB and LB looks pretty rocky indeed right enough, shame you could not get the Friday off the whole weekend would have been totally different with fabulous views in all directions from all three hills. I have never been to Inverie and that is something I must do, the only downside is you are controlled by the sailing times :( But the next time I go it's to be from Inverie :D
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

Postby scoob999 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:44 am

Nice one rockhopper :clap:

Pity about the weather on day two though :( Great area and great hills, must get back again soon :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:195
Grahams:85   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:138   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:7   

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu May 08, 2014 8:22 am

Nice round there Neil..looks great from the Inverie side too..will go that way next time I'm over..Cheers
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Nice one this is a stunning area, just a pity about that clag as the views are superb from up there. :D
Johnny Corbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:18   Corbetts:200
Grahams:157   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:263   Hewitts:1

Postby mr_ash_37 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Grt report and pics. Looking forward to these ones and will refer to this report again. Thanks
mr_ash_37
Mountain Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:3

Postby pigeon » Thu May 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Shame about the clag RH,another good round though.Must get to these this year,although being a purist i won't be taking the boat! :lol: :lol: :wink:
pigeon
Hill Bagger

Munros:282   Corbetts:88
Grahams:35   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2

Postby dooterbang » Thu May 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Fantastic...and getting ever closer :wink:

Looks like you got some decent views before the weather turned. I'll be keeping these for a scorcher :)

Maybe you could walk in from Kinlochhourn next time :D

Another 10 days and hopefully I'll get the all clear to get back on the hills, a 3 month exile has been way too long :shock:
dooterbang
Mountain Walker

Munros:255   Corbetts:53
Grahams:17   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   

Postby rockhopper » Fri May 09, 2014 12:55 pm

pigeon wrote:.........although being a purist i won't be taking the boat! :lol: :lol: :wink:
:lol: at least I started from sea level whereas you'll proabably start from a car park (having driven there) which is above sea level (....well maybe about 5 metres) :wink: :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Grahams:58   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby pigeon » Fri May 09, 2014 2:24 pm

rockhopper wrote:
pigeon wrote:.........although being a purist i won't be taking the boat! :lol: :lol: :wink:
:lol: at least I started from sea level whereas you'll proabably start from a car park (having driven there) which is above sea level (....well maybe about 5 metres) :wink: :lol: - cheers :)
:lol: :lol: Nae more boats for me,will you let me of with the ferry to Mull?
pigeon
Hill Bagger

Munros:282   Corbetts:88
Grahams:35   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2

Postby jimandandrea » Sat May 10, 2014 9:33 am

Always a pleasure to read.
Great pics and story. A great 1st day shame the 2nd wasn't so good but still...
Nearly there - grand work. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Mountain Walker

Munros:261   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Silverhill » Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Well done, those hills are hard work, even without a full pack! Shame you didn’t get the views on the second day, but at least you got them on the first!
I hope you get a few good days soon for Torridon! :D
Silverhill

Munros:279   Corbetts:3

Postby edinburgh36 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Going to attempt this next Monday & Tuesday! Sadly the old forge is shut at the moment - was looking forward to that at the end of a big walk.
Thanks for the inspiration & GPX file :D
edinburgh36
Mountain Walker

Munros:87   
Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BethSutton » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Very useful report, thank you - my partner and I did a round of Meall Buidhe, Luinne Bheinn and Ladhar Bheinn this weekend and your report was very helpful when we were planning the route.
BethSutton

Munros:147   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland