walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Whangie, done properly this time

The Whangie, done properly this time

Postby wjshaw2 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:45 am

Route description: The Whangie, Kilpatrick Hills

Date walked: 10/04/2014

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4.44 km

Ascent: 240m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I came here last year, re-directed from Conic Hill as the path was shut, but I'd never heard of the Whangie and so just climbed Auchineden Hill for the view. And then went home and read the WalkHighlands walk on the Whangie and felt a bit silly. Having now seen how close we came to the star attraction, I feel a little more silly. Oh well, my feeling silly is hardly an unusual occurrence, so I suppose I don't need to dwell on it too much.

All set to go.jpg
All set to go

This time I was walking with my nephew - having successfully conquered Conic with him at the beginning of the year, this was the next adventure we planned together.

We followed the muddy path along the bottom of the line of crags and enjoyed the views north over Loch Lomond and the rest of the Southern Highlands and east to the end of the Campsies. When you get to the corner of the crags and start heading south rather than west there are increasing numbers of boulders giving a hint of the joys to come...

A good example of making sure the sun isn't directly in the eyes of the person you're trying to take a photo of.jpg
A good example of making sure the sun isn't directly in the eyes of the person you're trying to take a photo of.

Western Campsies - Dumgoyne and Earl's Seat.jpg
Western Campsies - Dumgoyne and Earl's Seat

Loch Lomond panorama.jpg
Loch Lomond panorama

A rainbow between us and the Southern Highlands.jpg
A rainbow between us and the Southern Highlands

A teaser for what's to come.jpg
A teaser for what's to come.

The Whangie itself (what a great name!) is quite wonderful. It's a full flowering of the Kilpatrick Hill's surprising tendency to intersperse its low rounded tops with steep, narrow gullies. I'd first encountered this heading for Duncolm, the Kilpatrick Hill's lumpy highpoint, the nice circular route I'd planned being rather re-directed around impassably steep, stream filled splits in the rock. In my imagination, there may even be hidden crevasses still to be discovered...

We skirted round the bottom of the Whangie's crags to start with and then, went back through the narrow gap in the crags themselves. It's a bit like Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's entrance to the Paths of the Dead :shh: ...except there's a bit more graffiti (not runes, unfortunately).

A jumble of crags and boulders.jpg
A jumble of crags and boulders

Narrow.jpg
Narrow

Entering the Paths of the Dead.jpg
Entering the Paths of the Dead

Checking for green floaty dead warriors, and am I developing a bald patch.jpg
Checking for green floaty dead warriors...and am I developing a bald patch?

My Nephew displayed his adventurous side, being helped up and down steeper parts, but definitely happier on more difficult terrain than had caused a few grumbles at Conic. A good sign for the next adventure :D .

We then carried on round the corner and had lunch on slopes looking over the Kilpatrick Hills moors - well, I had lunch, my nephew had a few haribo sweeties.

It was only a few hundred metres from the southern end of the Whangie's lovely rocks to the top of Auchineden Hill where the views open up to Glasgow and the south. It was quite different weather to the last trip, at about Easter last year. We didn't hang around long at the top as we were keen to get a hot chocolate somewhere on the way home and the wind was a wee bit chilly. The walk back towards the car along the top of the crags this time was an extremely wet one - I was starting to feel envious of my nephew's wellies... The slippiest bit of the walk was descending off the soggy summit plateau back down to the main path near the corner of the foresty, but that was safely negotiated and the car reached in no time at all.

Hazy Glasgow.jpg
Hazy Glasgow

The muddy way home.jpg
The muddy way home

Somehow, despite doing the walk reasonably quickly, we managed to miss out on the hot chocolate this time - I think that means I owe him one. Two chot hocolates on the next adventure :wink: . A highly recommended excursion - maximum return for the work needed to get round the walk. It wasn't so friendly last year, but it was still fun.

Last year on Auchineden.jpg
Last year on Auchineden with smcm. Just after Easter - the Pirate egg didn't last much longer...

Yum.jpg
Yum
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:65
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland