walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6 gates to access one Sub

6 gates to access one Sub

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun May 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Ghuilean

Date walked: 10/05/2014

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 400m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just back from a great weekend on the Mull of Kintyre, completely new territory for me and was glad I volunteered to be 'head chauffeur' :lol:
My son who should be certified, is not content with running half marathons or marathons any more as they are too easy :lol: So he now challenges himself by running ultra's and had entered the Kintyre Ultra which was a mere 67 miles from Tarbert to Campbeltown following the Kintyre Way. We have to bear in mind he completed the Glasgow to Edinburgh race in April (55 miles) & 2 weeks ago completed the "Highland Fling" which follows the West Highland Way from Milngavie to Tyndrum (53 miles) and as I suspected the lack of rest between runs would take it's toll. However all was going well until he met up ran with a fellow runner from Glasgow, too much talking meant they missed an important sign & carried on for 3 miles before they realised the mistake & had to return to the sign they missed, that cost them an hour and as the cut off times are fairly tough they arrived at Carradale (53 miles later). I had arranged to be at Carradale at about 3pm with a drop bag containing goodies, but as the mobile signals are either non existent or very weak it was difficult to communicate or get any update. My son arrived just after 4.30pm and after discussing the situation with the marshall's the two of them decided to retire gracefully & accepted a lift to the finish at Campbeltown. You have to bear in mind that the start time was 5.30am & runners were still finishing at 9.30pm :shock: :shock: So if anyone fancies volunteering it is an annual event & my son being soft in the head is determined to enter next year & naturally finish :lol:

Anyway as I had a few spare hours hanging around before the RV at Carradale, I decided to pick off at least one Sub 2000'. I initially headed out to the far south west with the intention of walking up Cnoc Moy & possibly The Slate, so I headed down that way in the car. However I wasn't really expecting the hills to be so far off the beaten track :lol:

DSCF4027.JPG
One of the first problems, they weren't in any hurry

DSCF4030.JPG
The track to the hills

I was concerned about the time, so decided to check the map & pick an easier hill, so I headed back to Campbeltown and guess who I met on my return :lol: :lol:

DSCF4032.JPG
My furry friends, still in no hurry

On the western edge of Campbeltown lies Beinn Ghuilean, so I parked the car checked the map and then headed onwards & upwards.

DSCF4050.JPG
Parking area directly across the road from the track, room for about 4 cars

DSCF4049.JPG
The start of the track heading up the hill

DSCF4051.JPG
Looking back to the start

DSCF4052.JPG
Looking up the track

DSCF4055.JPG
The view back down the hill to High Glenramskill Farm which you pass by

The reason for the title is to assist any future walkers who fancy tackling this hill, initially you follow a good track up passing High Glenramskill Farm, which will be to your right, the first of the 6 gates has to be opened & closed of course :wink: I didn't photo that gate so you will have to take my word for it that it is there.
The track meanders up the hillside & passes by an old small MOD building surrounded by barbed wire, the track then peters out a wee bit & resembles a track used by quad bikes. The track the passes by an old farm outbuilding and another couple of gates have to be negotiated, this is far easier than climbing over fences.
Following the track you then have to open 3 more gates before the track ends, it is then just a matter of heading up the grassy slopes 8)

DSCF4097.JPG
The wee MOD fenced off building

DSCF4065.JPG
Grassy slope, fairly steep at this point

DSCF4066.JPG
Summit trig point, surrounded with water

DSCF4080.JPG
Summit view of Davaar Island

Most of the views from the summit were of moorland, forests but to the north the eastern coast, unfortunately it was a bit hazy :(

DSCF4087.JPG
Looking up the eastern coast of the peninsula towards Carradale

DSCF4063.JPG
The causeway out to Davaar Island & the jetty for oil tankers

To sum up, anyone who has not been to the Mull of Kintyre will be pleasantly surprised, the long drive was well worth it and I will probably return next year not to run I hasten to add :lol:
Hope you all enjoy & am waiting for a large sum of money from the Kintyre Tourist Board :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 6 gates to access one Sub

Postby Sianmg » Sun May 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Good to have a report on a walk down in that area, looks good. Good luck to your son for next year :)
Sianmg

Munros:2   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Planning to do the Kintyre Way in the next couple of years but probably at a more leisurely pace than your son.

Good photos of what looks like a nice wee Sub 2000.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Look a nice wander with some good view. re ultras, have a friend who runs ultras some in desert conditons - like you I don't know how they manage them :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby m3doc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Walk Highlands lists Beinn Ghuilean's height as the trig point 352m but the true summit is 600m SSE at 354m
m3doc
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:222
Fionas:124   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   

Postby PeteR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Looks good Martin. I've looked at the subs that way, but never made the long trip down there. I'd need to combine with a bit of camping, to get maximum use of the area.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jetskie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:22 am

I used to live in Campbeltown and walk my dog up Beinn Ghuilien (I can never spell it). I approached it from the other end to you though, and never did find the path to the actual summit. The highest I got was a flat spot at the top of a steep path where someone's built a bench to sit and admire the view over Campbeltown and beyond. Next time I go visit I'll have to find the path you did!
Jetskie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland