walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond marque deux

Ben Lomond marque deux

Postby Catmeena » Fri May 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 16/05/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My 3rd munro took 2 attempts. The first time we attempted it in early Spring, and naively left Glasgow expecting to positively sprint up the mountain. We weren't expecting snow. Foolish! Although the views from the bottom were certainly worth the drive

carpark.jpg
Nice views of the snowcapped hills from the Rowardennan carpark

So we made it around 1/3rd of the way up before we had to turn around as we had no gear with us to tackle the snow. Plus I'm petrified of falling on my ass and breaking my face so I wimpily didn't even try to get much further than the first sign of snow.

snoy.jpg
Thou shalt not passssss

Our second and successful (we think) attempt was a 4.5 hour blaze of mist and wind. Despite being able to see only around 3 metres in front of ourselves it was quite a nice walk! No views of course, apart from the carpark, and I'm not even convinced we reached the proper top as the visibility at the "top" was horrendous.

bltop.jpg
The (assumed) top

We've decided to mark it off the list anyways, sssssssssssssh ;-)

missty.jpg
Mist starting to lift on the way back down
Catmeena
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:6   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland