walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Search for Fern- Sgurr nan Clach Geala

The Search for Fern- Sgurr nan Clach Geala

Postby spiderwebb » Sun May 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Date walked: 17/05/2014

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had read the emotional story by Tall Story from back in March when he was lucky to escape with his life when a cornice he was standing on collapsed. Tragically their dog Fern was caught on the collapse and was taken down the corrie.
I had contacted Tall Story with an offer to go look, and although deep down you know it will be for location or recovery, I walked into the Fannichs yesterday thinking that miracles can happen, I may just find her. I even took a lead !
Besides, anyone who has ever owned a dog will understand.

The forecast for Saturday was good, well as good as it gets of late, at least until the afternoon when rain was forecast, so it was 0545hrs when I walked in to Loch a Bhraoin and headed up the good path then left to ascend to the bealach between Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr nan Each.

Cloud hung over the summits on the way in but was clear of the tops by the time I got there.

I headed to the summit first to ascertain the point described by Tall Story in his report.

The first view of the corrie back from the summit cairn revealed the enormity of the snow field below the collapse.

WH1.jpg

I walked beyond the summit to assess how to tackle a search and it was clear from viewing this side that a descent from the top was going to carry considerable risk. I had left my axe in the car, thinking I wouldnt need it ! To be fair I wouldnt as clearly a search of the snowfield would be useless but it it mat have swayed me to descend the snowfield.

View from beyond the summit cairn

WH2.jpg

I had already sat before the summit and scanned the whole area from top to bottom with my binos but nothing, repeating the same from the far side.

I continued in descent of Clach Geala down its NW ridge and studied the corrie in detail and eventually found a spur that although very steep, offered the possibility of access to the corrie floor.

Decsending down to a group of large boulders just out of the picture below.

The pic shows my approx line of ascent from the corrie floor.

WH3.jpg

From the corrie floor the prospect of a climb up looked somewhat daunting but careful picking off each section I made progress up, covering as much of the intervening snow cleared ground as possible. Those areas I didnt actually tread were the clear rock slabs which were easier enough just to view. Soon I reached the large lower snowfield and covered its base.

WH4.jpg

By this point I was dubious about returning by my route of ascent and to be honest if anyone else is contemplating searching at some future date I would strongly advise taking a rope, helmet etc. as a slip here especially when above the slabs would not be good for ones health. The intervening ground is extremely soggy and loose.

As a result there was only one option and that was to continue up and out. criss crossing the slopes to find the easiest line with the occasional flatish spot for a break, I reached the base of the upper snowfield.

WH5.jpg

I traversed the length of the base of the snowfield in the small hope that Fern may be at the base but no joy, so headed back to the left hand side as the right was too tricky to ascend and also immediately above the aforementioned slabs and the second snowfield.

WH6.jpg

A brief pause whilst some walkers looked down wondering what the hell I was doing on this unconventional approach to the summit, I'd had the same thoughts !

WH15.jpg

Finally topping out just south of the summit and the snowfield.

WH13.jpg

The view back down to the corrie floor showing my route of ascent.

WH12.jpg

The weather held, thankfully, for the duration, and some views were to be had.

Summit and An Teallach beyond

WH10.jpg

Sgurr Breac and A Chaillach with Fisherfield beyond

WH11.jpg

Pano of Sgurr Breac, A Chaillach, with from left to right Torridon (Beinn Eighe), Slioch, Fisherfield centre and An Teallach.

WH16.jpg

Given the lack of snow on most of the mountains, the amount still held in the corrie came as a blow, as Fern is likely beneath.

Hopefully, whilst my search revealed no joy or closure it will serve to give an idea for future trips. The volume of snow still held suggest to me that any future trip into the corrie would be fruitless until at least August, assuming temperatures at this height rise considerably.

The temperature yesterday I would guess was close to freezing in the wind, I had my windproof fleece on from start to finish.

I left the summit, unhappy, and descended the col before Meall a Chrasgaidh as other walkers headed up. The forecast was correct as the last mile back to the car was in full waterproofs and my last look back into the Fannichs I could see no summits.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: The Search for Fern- Sgurr nan Clach Geala

Postby Collaciotach » Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Ach poor Fern , great companions dogs and good on you for searching a bhalaich.
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby tall-story » Sun May 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi spider-man, as you should be called after that search yesterday :clap: Thanks again for your efforts, I think after my wee wander into Affric on Tuesday and the amount of white stuff that is still holding on in the corries we both knew that the challenge was a difficult one :( But at least you tried and we now know for sure that it will be a month or more before the snow shifts enough to get another good look, and I will be there on that occasion. On a more cheery note this is a photo of Jura :) who by the backend should be my new four legged hill companion
Thanks very much spiderwebb
Colin
Attachments
1-P1030115.JPG
This was Jura a couple of weeks ago at 12 wks.
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Missed this first time Colin and so sorry for what you went through losing Fern like that - but what a miracle you didn't go down with it too. :shock: Well done spiderwebb for the search - you're a brave man. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Beaner001 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Hats off to you Spiderweb hope some closure can be had once the thaw happens. Jura's a cracker tall story. She'll be up in the hills with you in no time mate. :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun May 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Echo those sentiments Jura looks a cracker. Although with that name it'll remind me of what's in my hip flask :lol:
Keep me posted whenever you return to Sgurr nan Clach Geala, anything I can do to help, or before if you the snow level checked before making a trip (not sure how far away you are) as local for me :)
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby tall-story » Sun May 18, 2014 6:26 pm

That's exactly where the name comes from :) as I am partial to a dram or two :wink: although I do prefer McAllan :D
tall-story
Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Thu May 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Just to add if anyone is over this hill in the next few months, feel free to post pics of the snowfield in the corrie, so we can see progress on its thaw, thanks in anticipation :)
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Fri May 23, 2014 3:08 pm

That corrie looked very dodgy :shock:

Good effort.

The tent you asked about in my post....well I'm a novice at camping but I did a vast amount of research then spent a day in shops trying the tents out. It was the Zephyros 2 or Vango Blade. Went for the Zephyros as didn't like that the blade only opened at its top end. The Zephyros is sooper easy to pitch and has plenty of space for ONE person. I liked the inner had a good door that opens fully. My body is longer than usual so when sitting up my head did touch the inner roof, however it wasn't that bad. The outer door can be clipped into a toggle on the inner, or you can put a piece of string on it and tie it back over the outer to one of its hooks. It had plenty of mesh inside that can be shut or left open using velcro. I took the 2 carbon poles out to make it easier packing it away, it only takes seconds to reattach them when putting up the tent. The one thing missing is a hook inside the tent to hang a lamp but this was a minor quibble. I used my lantern on the floor. You could sew a small loop on the inner. Other recommendations from forums would only change the pegs and perhaps the guylines to dyneema rope and lokfits. I may do that in the future if i think it requires it. Most forum punters rate it a great tent, at a very good price. Webtogs should price match it. I got my local Cotswolds to price match it from an internet shop - uttings. £100. The 2 is only 300grams heavier than the 1, and has better features...that;s why I went with the 2. If you want larger you can get the Zephyros2 XL. It opens each side and has more space, but cost more. Hope this all helps, as I said...I'm a novice :)

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby spiderwebb » Fri May 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Cheers Dooters, novice haha....and yes the corrie was dodgy :crazy:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri May 23, 2014 6:36 pm

What a great gesture, with some great photo's, that corrie looked pretty scary :shock:

I think anyone who read the original report will appreciate your efforts, even me & I have to confess I am not a dog lover, even though Mrs Flyer has 3 dogs :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby electricfly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 am

Dave. Ross McBeth was up there at the weekend. There's been considerable melt. He has pictures on his fb page. Hopefully you can view there.

Eric.
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:03 am

Oh thats great that you looked for her. It was such a sad story, but hopefully she will be found in the future. Good effort with the approach you took gulp!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby tall-story » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 pm

Electricfly, As I am not a facebook person would it be possible to either forward or ask the person you speak of to forward me some of the photos you talk of ? Or anyone else reading this if you have any recent (the last week or so) photos of the appropriate area so we can asses the snow content in the corrie to bring this sad chapter to an end :cry:
Many Thanks, Colin
tall-story
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland