walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

1st Munro(s) attempt but beaten by the weather :(

1st Munro(s) attempt but beaten by the weather :(

Postby dunf210 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 am

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas

Date walked: 18/05/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

1st attempt to climb a Munro this weekend after building up height in the Ochils. We chose the Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers double bagger to start. Checked forecast on mountain watch - to stay dry with 80% chance of good visibility. Drove the two hours to get there and true to form it was lashing down and grey. Set off anyways and successfully climbed Beinn Ghlas, although with about 30ft visibility in thick mist for most of the way it was difficult to know. Attempted the journey onwards to Ben Lawers summit but in over 50mph winds and after the wife was blown off her feet twice we sensibly called it a day and headed back down. Not the only ones to do so.

We'll try again another day. Im sure the views would be spectacular when not deep in the clouds.
dunf210

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: 1st Munro(s) attempt but beaten by the weather :(

Postby Steve B » Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 am

Good effort in the conditions. And the right decision too by the sound of it, they will always be there. Believe me that will not be the last time that you will need to bail out on a walk. An important lesson to learn, well done.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Sgurr » Mon May 19, 2014 10:22 am

Good for you. You made the right decision. US friend got totally disorientated and blown over that day. Came back after a chapter of accidents, thank goodness in one piece having bailed out of his second hill elsewhere . You made the right choice. He was becoming hypothermic and had fallen and bashed his lip. Maybe eventually he would have been forced to turn on his phone with GPS, but didn't want to because it costs too much over here. Luckily someone met him and faced him in the right direction.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Well done you for making the sensible choice given the conditions! :clap:

I did a solo Cairn Toul-Braeriach traverse the same day, and can testify that conditions were decidedly hostile after about 2pm. The gale force winds were doing their best to blow me off my feet, and after Cairn Toul the viz was next to nothing all the way out past Sgurr and Lochan Uaine and down the far shoulder off Braeriach.
It was a case of knowing where I was at all times, taking bearings, keeping the head down against the wind and plodding onwards, as the car was parked at the Sugar Bowl, where I'd left it in the morning before heading down the Ghru to Corrour Bothy. Even my dog was looking worried which is very unusual as it takes a lot to faze him on the hills.

Have to say though, that the sense of achievement of doing the walk solo in such harsh conditions was huge! Have had my fair share of no-summit outings over the winter due to dangerous conditions and it was great to add a few blue balloons to Bob's and my Munro maps :D
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby bar72 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:08 pm

never mind, i 've abandoned walks a couple of times to bad weather. did 1 in 80mph winds and was pinned down at the summit. couldn't even get in the shelter and crawled of the summit to head back down, lol. i never ever want to call mountain rescue. these guys have enough on their plate with limited funding without me adding to their stress. the hills will always be there.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland