walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Brack and the track

The Brack and the track

Postby U059361 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Route description: The Brack and Cnoc Còinnich , Ardgartan

Corbetts included on this walk: The Brack

Date walked: 20/05/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 834m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this walk as described on WH route. Got to car park at 9:30am. It is a dawddle till the cut off straight up the hill.
ImageThe Brack from the track, Ardgartan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
A scramble right away to get into the forest it keeps it up right to the top above a cascade and large boulder.
ImageOut of the trees, The Brack by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Brack1.jpg
The climb from above the trees

Brack2.jpg
The boulder and cascade at top of steep climb up

Just a steady walk up to the lochan from there. :wink:
ImageAbove the boulder, The Cobbler by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageTurn right after the lochan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The top was in clag but getting the odd glimpse. Had my lunch in some shelter and waited. Need to remember that it always clears later on and sure enough it did it again today when I was on my way down. :(
The ridge down to the bealach is not an easy walk and crags to be avoided.
ImageAim for the point in the clouds by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
From the point, the lower crags to be avoided by walking to lochan and keeping to south side are more obvious. When I got to the right of way the top was clear. It is a long trudge back to the car park from here, but the sun came out o make it pleasant.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland